Rigged Max character

Posted By peteradam6 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
bluemidget666 (4/27/2010)
So how we find out more about this ... coz to be honest I could kill for a way to do it with fxb files without 3dmaxSmile

Yes, can you please describe your process? Also, please describe the naming convention of the rig bone parts of the "Maya fbx character base"? As well as which versions of the respective programs (Maya, fbx, iClone and 3dxchange) you are using to accomplish this? Thank you!
Edited
14 Years Ago by qdai
bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
"Maya fbx character base"?
I think he is talking about the fxb bone set that came with 3Dexchange 4 bonus pack Smile

It be cool if RL could throw some light on this BigGrin

I Make My Mates Do The CanCan For The Amusement Of Killer RobotsBigGrin
Edited
14 Years Ago by bluemidget666
W.VEEKE
W.VEEKE
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)

Hi,  I think there is a big misunderstanding about the fbx file.

I used the maya fbx and also exported this same fbx from max. Of course you can export the fbx to 3d exchange. But in both cases, if you want to use your own mesh it is the same proces as with the RL bones. You have to do it in max or maya(RL has made plugin for both programs) If you inport the fbx in max you start as if you start with the rl bones(only now they are bipped bones, but still you have to rig your own mesh).  You can not export this fbx file(standard character) to iclone by other programs then max and maya by using the RL plugins.Or of course  use 3d exchange when the fbx contains the rigged character. you have to rig your mesh with the rl bones or bipped(fbx) bones. If you export the fbx with max and import in max again this exported fbx, you simply start with non bipped bones and mesh. And again you have to exchange the RL mesh by your own mesh. This means you can rig the mesh with bipped or RL bones (in max or maya)but as i told you have to reline and rerig your own mesh with this bipped or RL bones or the bones in maya. 3d exchange can not do this for you.3d exchange is very powerfull for fbx files(containing the rigged character or prop with motions) , props and vns files (characters and props) to in- and export to other programs and iclone.To make standard characters You allways have to rerig your own mesh with the bones from the fbx or the RL  bones or in maya. In allcases You use allmost the the same proces. and yes then you can do this also with 3d exchange(with an allready rigged standard character), but then you can better transport direct with the plugin.

To make a fbx file is not difficult because max and maya (and many other programs) do this automatically because it is buildin in the programs or as a plugin.. But before you can export your own character you allways have to rig your own mesh with the bipped or RL bones or bones in maya, that is for most users the most difficult part. You have to cut the mesh in the standard bodyparts with the exact needed vertex counts and mesh selection (so that the body parts will stich together in iclone and the head will do the facial animation).

Maybe RL will come with ,more plugins for other programs. Till that time you have to do it with max or maya for standard characters. Non human characters and props can be made (inclusive the motions) in all programs with the fbx exporter together with 3d exchange. But of course there are tricks to more easy rig your character. But that was not the question.

Wil

Wil 

Wil Veeke-Reallusion Certified Content Developer

Member of:

The Content Wizards!

qdai
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

bluemidget666 (4/27/2010)
"Maya fbx character base"?
I think he is talking about the fxb bone set that came with 3Dexchange 4 bonus pack Smile

It be cool if RL could throw some light on this BigGrin

Ah, yes. The Character Designer's Resource Pack. But since we were discussing being able to use a totally unique (non-iClone) custom character [unified mesh] with iClone Standard Motions, I hope this process still works??????????????????????????????
qdai
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I am confused. Excuse me for being thick; but, I thought grabiller had successfully used 3dxchange and Maya and the fbx file format to create a STANDARD iClone character from a completely custom character mesh. That is, after all what we were talking about.

Now, it appears grabiller just used Maya and 3dxchange and the fbx format to alter a standard iClone character. This is soooooooooooo, not what we were talking about.

Edited
14 Years Ago by qdai
W.VEEKE
W.VEEKE
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.9K reputation)

Hi, the proces  works for non standard and standard characters as well as for your own characters. if you use non standard character export you can keep totally your own character inclusive the head but without facial animations.You can use all RL standard motions. For standard characters you have to  devide your own character in body parts(Upper,lower, hands and feet Wink and use the iclone prepaired face. The vertexes of the edges of the bodyparts have to be changed to the vertex counts of standard iclone bodyparts.And the connections with the mesh select function  need the wright names. After this you use the skin modifier in max  to rig your character and then you can export your own character and use the RL motions

So it is possible to export your own character to iclone with and without facial motions. If you export it as a standard character you can not export the original head. You have to use a iclone head and reshape this with 3d exchange and an other 3d program(as max or zbrush or...)   

Wil

Member of:

The Content Wizards!

bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
umph it did sound too good to be true Smile

I Make My Mates Do The CanCan For The Amusement Of Killer RobotsBigGrin
qdai
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

W.VEEKE (4/27/2010)
Hi, I think there is a big misunderstanding about the fbx file.

...To makestandard characters You allways have to rerig your ownmesh with the bones from the fbx or the RL bones or in maya. In allcases You use allmost the the same proces. and yes then you can do this also with 3d exchange(with an allready rigged standard character), but then you can better transport direct with the plugin.

Allow me to summarize what I think you said. Tell me if I am right or wrong. There are 2 practical ways to get a unique custom mesh into iClone in such a way that it can be animated:

A
1.Sign up for the Developer Premium CCD Membership.
2.Get the iClone Standard character Template and the 3ds max plug-in.
3.Open the Standard Character Template (I assume it is in .max format) in 3ds max.
4.Delete the Template mesh leaving the RL bones.
5.Size your unique mesh to fit the iClone Standard Character Template bones (or RL bones).
6.Use Skin Modifier to skin your mesh to the RL bones.
7.Use the iClone 3ds Max plug-in to export your TOTALLY CUSTOM CHARACTER to iClone format.
8.You now have: Non-Standard Avatar that can use standard motion files but NO interchangable body parts and NO lipsync.

OR, OR, OR

B
1.Purchase 3DXchange 4 Pro which comes with the Character Designer's Resource Pack.
2.Import the iClone Standard Character Template (in fbx file format) into Max or Maya or any other program that accepts fbx file format. The iClone Standard Character Template includes the Character Mesh and RL bones.
3.Follow steps 4 through 6 from above.
4.Import your completed custom character into 3dXchange (in fbx format).
5.Export your Non-Standard "custom" iClone character to iClone format.

W.VEEKE (4/27/2010)
To make a fbx file is not difficult because max and maya (and many other programs)do this automatically because it is buildin in the programs or as a plugin.. But before you can export your own character you allways have to rig your own mesh with the bipped or RL bones or bones in maya, that is for most users the most difficult part. You have to cut the mesh in the standard bodyparts with theexact neededvertex counts and mesh selection(so that the body parts will stich together in iclone and the head will do the facial animation).

I assume you only have to do this (worry about vertex counts and cutting the mesh) if you want to use your unique mesh to create a STANDARD iClone character that can exchange body parts with other STANDARD iClone characters and that can use iClone's facial animation? In this case, you'd be better off using iClone's character template instead of your own custom mesh.

W.VEEKE (4/27/2010)
But of course there are tricks to more easy rig your character. But that was not the question.

Wil

Now it is, if you are willing...what are these tricks (for 3ds Max rigging)?
Edited
14 Years Ago by qdai
W.VEEKE
W.VEEKE
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

hi, yes you understood me well. But after "a little practice" it is also easy to change it in a standard character.w00t But better start export a non standard character to learn how to skin.

To tell you how to skin your character the easiest way depends on the way how your character is buildup. Does it have many cloth parts. Has the character unique hair.  does it have weapons ore special boyparts such as a tail.

Maybe we can use one of your characters as an example??? 

Member of:

The Content Wizards!

qdai
qdai
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Now, the character is nude and bald. But it will have separate shirt, pants, shoes, and hair (and not that this matters to rigging...morph target animation). However, if it is necessary, I can delete the character mesh below the clothing and make the clothing and the character one mesh.

Will the RL bones for iClone allow me to have bosom jiggle in female characters? If so, does this require special rigging?
Edited
14 Years Ago by qdai

Reading This Topic