Profile Picture

PopcornFX the plug in, vs PopcornFX the stand alone app...

Posted By martok2112 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

PopcornFX the plug in, vs PopcornFX the stand alone app...

Author
martok2112
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
So, I finally manage to get my Reallusion programs and pipelines updated, and I am eager to jump into using PopcornFX....until I saw the #(*%@)! price tag for it!

Yet, on the same page that sells the plugin, there is a prompt to download the FREE standalone PopcornFX particle editing app.

So, here's my question:   If I create/edit particles in the standalone, can I import them as functional emitters into iClone7? 

"Incompetence will always prevail so long as evil men stand by and do nothing."
-Martok2112

Warped Reality VFX
Warped Reality VFX
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Hello,martok2112 yes you can but at this time you can not use PopcornFX V2Editor I suggest using this version it is the most compatible with iClone.
PopcornFX-1.12 Editor this is the version I used for the free particle share on the forum and the effects I create.

Warped Reality VFX.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Kevin L
Am7add9
Am7add9
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
no, you need the plugin to import
and as far as i remember to edit parameters on the iclone ones.
imho it wasn't worth it. maybe at 10% of what they are asking

its better to jump into ue4 and get better particles, renderer,charactors etc etc etc free
people shy away and say learning curve..etc etc
its no harder than learning iclone

martok2112
martok2112
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)

Thank you both for the info, Kevin L, and Am7add9 .

I'll have to look at UE4.

Also, completely agree.... one tenth the price for PopcornFX addon would be much more palatable.  At this rate, the plugin costs almost as much as iClone7.

It does beg the question, however: Why offer up the free standalone if Reallusion is going to GOUGE us for its use in iClone?  Makes the standalone kind of useless,  don'cha think?

-Martok2112

Edited
3 Years Ago by martok2112
martok2112
martok2112
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It would also be great if Reallusion were able to make use of Blender's physics and particle engines.

-Martok2112

martok2112
martok2112
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

If I'm completely honest, I should have known better than to expect that Reallusion would offer something that looks so great altogether,  (oooh...lookie at all of these neat fx you can make) but in order to use the elements you actually NEED,  you have to pay an arm and a leg for it.  (Oh, sorry we're didn't tell you about that right up front. )

Most days,  I love Reallusion,  but when they pull crap like this....I really hate them.   (... and for those wondering why I didn't discover this about PopcornFX add on till now....I haven't had regular internet for a year since the Kung Flu darkened our shores...and knocked me out of my well-paying job.... forcing me  to take on an "essential" job that does not pay essentially. I only just managed to update my software yesterday. )

Maybe $10-$20 for the add on? Ok.  But damn near $200... and the standalone Popcornfx is free, but you still have to pay three figures for the ability to use the improved particles? SMH

-Martok2112

Edited
3 Years Ago by martok2112
Am7add9
Am7add9
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

you can use popcorn effects in iclone without the plugin,
however without being able to edit them or emit from meshes
the end result is less than impressive most times.

as for blender you can bring your charactors-props-animations into there and continue to work on them
using all the tools, pretty much the same as ue4 via FBX, you dont need livelink

martok2112
martok2112
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Am7add9,

Yeah,  I've been using the basic PopcornFx particles... just frustrating that one has to sell their soul just to be able to more specifically tweak them.

I know about the importing from Blender too... but that's objects and .FBX stuff.  Doesn't really help in the particles and physics department though.  🙂

In order to make my own custom particles as far as appearance, I have to use the Legacy system.   Too bad Legacy can't be adapted to PopcornFx.

-Martok2112

Am7add9
Am7add9
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

my point was
i do scene building and some animation, then bring into another app
from there i build or tweak a particle system and/or use the apps physics
everything works, no workarounds needed. mirrors and walkcycles that work.. imagine that.

martok2112
martok2112
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Aye...I can always do particles in post...like with HitFilm

-Martok2112

Reading This Topic