Maya face rig for CC3

Posted By sterlingy 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sterlingy
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Folks, I am looking for suggestions for the best solution to setup a face rig in Maya for CC3 characters.

Any suggestions?

Stick with the flock, end up a lamb chop!

--------------------- GEAR --------------------
MSI G60 Ghost
AMD 2700X 8 Core @ 4.3GHz Asus Astrix RTX 2080Ti 32GB Ram Samsung 21:9 3440x1440 Monitor
Perception Neuron Mocap (2)

Reallusion Pipeline Suite 3D Studio Max Modo 901 Unreal Engine 4 Zbrush Allegorithmic Substance LIVE Adobe CC

mrtobycook
mrtobycook
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
I’ve been just doing this exact thing. Specifically are you after how to transfer characters over to Maya, how to setup Blendshapes and bones, or how to setup the facial ui?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d11fc97b-7387-4f19-bb1e-0785.png
virtualfilmer.com | youtube

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

mrtobycook (3/3/2021)
I’ve been just doing this exact thing. Specifically are you after how to transfer characters over to Maya, how to setup Blendshapes and bones, or how to setup the facial ui?

Thanks for the reply. My character is already in Maya. The control rig is a set of tools that are linked to the bones and blendshapes. Maybe this is what you are calling a face UI. Face Puppet is iClone's contro rig.

I can build my own in Maya but was hoping there was something that would quickly setup for CC3 characters.

MSI G60 Ghost
AMD 2700X 8 Core @ 4.3GHz Asus Astrix RTX 2080Ti 32GB Ram Samsung 21:9 3440x1440 Monitor

Reallusion Pipeline Suite 3D Studio Max Modo 901 Unreal Engine 4 Zbrush Allegorithmic Substance LIVE Adobe CC

mrtobycook
mrtobycook
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

I built my own in Maya - just with the jawroot as a slider and the eyes as a square control each. Works quite well, and interfaces fine with Faceware and Dynamixyz etc. I also have sliders for the morph targets setup but nothing fancy.

I only called it ‘facial ui’ because it’s a good Google term to describe it, ive found, and there are various Maya plugins I’ve used over the years for it. Smile Also sometimes people get confused when I say “control rig” because of course the character is already “rigged” sort of (Blendshapes). Lol. For body of course I just use human ik - it’s the facial rig that is tricky with CC characters and I’ve yet to find what you’re looking for (someone who has shared a great one that we can all just use).

The only proper one I’ve seen for Character Creator is this product, but it’s incredibly over priced.

https://www.kineticmotive.net/products.php

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

mrtobycook (3/5/2021)

The only proper one I’ve seen for Character Creator is this product, but it’s incredibly over priced.

https://www.kineticmotive.net/products.php

Yes, that is pricey and I'm skeptical of the whole thing.

I'm actually trying to test the Dynamixyz suite for a variety of reasons. Maybe I should try Faceware's high end suite. I have not been entirely happy with their real-time for iClone application and their customer support lotta a bit to be desired. I've had their iClone app since it first came out. 

What have you liked?

MSI G60 Ghost

mrtobycook
mrtobycook
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I’m just testing Faceware and so far it’s much more accurate as far as tracking goes - compared to that very low quality Iclone plugin (was good for 2017 tech but not for ultra high quality actor performances).

But Retargeter is problematic with CC characters - the Blendshapes just don’t work well. I’m trying to improve it slowly but their customer support is absolutely awful. No responses now to questions.

I don’t have Dynamixyz on my machine yet but that’s the next trial I want to use. I have had friends who love it, and one said it worked with cc characters - but I don’t have firsthand knowledge of that. We shall see. If their customer service is as bad as Faceware then it might be tough to get it working? Im also concerned as the affordable indie version of Dynamixyz is only single user or single face or whatever they call it - and their help files make it clear that it isn’t very accurate compared to the full version.

I am also hesitant to spend thousands right now, as Epic will almost certainly have a face tracking solution of their own quite soon - to go along with their Metahumans.

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

mrtobycook (3/5/2021)
... their customer support is absolutely awful. No responses now to questions.

Usually takes a few days, but I did have a time where it was weeks. I don't know what they're problem is, but that's why I'm looking elsewhere. So far, Dynamixyz has been very responsive. 

I agree about Epic. It's really a software issue, and they could manage that pretty easily. They're adding support for multiple mocap solutions, but I expect it built-in in the future, but probably not around the corner. Hello Face Over IP

I've thought about developing my own software to go with the wireless mocap headset I developed: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b7e4ff30-b6f2-4530-a2e1-f767.jpg

I thought Reallusion was supposed to update their facial mocap features and editing over a month ago, but I haven't heard a word since it was mentioned.

MSI G60 Ghost

Reading This Topic