Pivot Points?

Posted By kmiteff_20091227013941124 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
kmiteff_20091227013941124
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Is it possible to arbitrarily select where an object pivots? I know you can select, object center, bottom center and scene root, but if you have, for example, a hinged door, you would want to pivot along the center of the hinge. I am having a tough time simulating this by using Bottom Center, and then adjust the XYZ coordinates by hand to keep the points appearing as of they are pivoting along the proper axis.

Any thoughts?

Also, is there a "Snap to" object edge command?

Thanks!
Verklagekasper
Verklagekasper
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
That's what "scene root" is for. For example, if you want the pivot at the center of the hinge of a door, move the door such that the center of the hinge is at the scene root. Then just set the pivot to scene root. After that, you can move the door anywhere, the pivot will be at the center of the hinge (and not at the center of the scene root anymore! I guess that's the key point to understand: Once you set the pivot to "scene root", it is set to the point where the scene root currently is, but it's still relative to the object for which the pivot is set; that is, when the object is moved, the pivot will move relatively to it, the pivot will not just stay at the scene root).
Edited
14 Years Ago by Verklagekasper
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
OK, I think I get it. I will try and research the nomenclature and make sure the Scene root is what I think it is, like position 0,0,0 or something. I am away from iClone for a couple of days so I won't be able to try it and see what you mean, but I get I think I get what you mean. If the scene root is an absolute point, like 0,0,0, O should be able to adjust the position of the component of an object, like a hinge, right at that point. since a hinge is only concerned with a single axis of rotation, you can treat it like a point for all intents as long as the door is the right position in the frame...

Thanks for the help. I will try to make it work!

Sincerely,

kmiteff
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
If you are working in 3DXchange4 then you can find out about the pivot functions from the link below.

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/Help/3DXchange4/pro/Pivot_Section.htm

This should help make things clearer. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic