Profile Picture

UREAL LIVELINK OVERPROMISE

Posted By Dukem 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dukem
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Hi - The livelink FPS still is an issue - I have an RTX 3090 gpu and Ryzen 3950x cpu - 64 gb ram and can only get 6 -10 fps - with one character. Thats with optimizing everything in iclone etc. as yis suggested in their training videos - including the one on optimizing the FPS. LOL - this is really looking like we've been oversold on something, promising smooth animation. Any tips? and No, my system is powerful enough for any animation program so upgrades aren't happening.
cinemyscope
cinemyscope
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I also just posted a thread called "honest discussion about computer specs for Live Link" less than an hour before your post.  I am running a Titan X Pascal and asked straight up if buying a 3090 would make a difference?  I have serious doubts it would
What arrives in UE fluctuates depending on content, detail and also on speed of move of the character I find.  A wide shot of a character may be fine but the close up of the same character involves more motion and that's where it all gets really problematic.
I switch to wireframe for the transfer but that still doesn't fix things most of the time.
The solution seems to be to use live link to send the models over but to use an FBX export for the animation.  I'm just still trying to find a good tutorial using this method as I don't want to have to go into having to deal with all the texture problems that are sure to come if I export the model via FBX.
My other, second workaround is that I render the model in iClone and the backdrop in a sequence recording in UE and then composite the two in AE.

Dukem
Dukem
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)Senior Member (451 reputation)

Lol - you read my mind - I'm exactly at the same place.
Use Iclone livelink for reference but don't use it as a practical tool.
If you look at the a majority of postings over the last year its people posting tests. Now everyone is ready to actually use the system and it falls horribly short.
This after spending thousands on incremental add-ons.

The majority of users don't really care about quality - posting videos at 10 or 15 fps. 
But we are in the middle of a real production and went all in on the promise of a basic workable pipeline.

Dukem
Dukem
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hoping there's some white knight out there with the answer.
cinemyscope
cinemyscope
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Hi,  Bassline sent me this as a workaround.  I haven't tried it yet but this should solve the issue.  We can use LiveLink to get the content over to UE and then use the FBX export to move the animation over.  That takes the sequence recording out of the loop all together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiqEB2Nm27U&feature=emb_title

Edited
3 Years Ago by cinemyscope
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
You also can import your Cam from IC7 , takes only seconds.
But you have know the exact focal length settings from the iC Cam (copy the settings from the UE4 LL Cam)...animation works fine but I never get it 100%.
Smooth animation and good for eyes or head to cam animations.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Bassline303
cinemyscope
cinemyscope
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Great DANKE!!
cinemyscope
cinemyscope
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Bassline,
I do have another question in this regard.  I followed the dancing girl tutorial but my models were sent to UE with Live Link.  Even with Live link off in IClone the imported FBX motion isn't working when in the sequencer.  Everything in the Outliner is still listed as "Edit CC LiveLink"  Do I somehow have to change that in the outliner to make the model accept the imported FBX animation in the sequencer?
Thank you!

cinemyscope
cinemyscope
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

P.S. also my camera seems to just end up somewhere in the landscape.
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I guess I know what your problem is , will try to help you later Wink

Reading This Topic