Profile Picture

Understanding two lines in the EULA?

Posted By jc_328908 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jc_328908
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
https://www.reallusion.com/Reallusion_Content_EULA.pdf

Page 4:
"
11. Texture sources included within REALLUSION Content and REALLUSION softwares are only allowed tobe used inside REALLUSION softwares. This includes REALLUSION Software embedded CONTENT, andCONTENT sold in the REALLUSION Stores and Marketplaces."

Page 6:
"2. Can I use Reallusion or Vendors’ Content in my app, game, or any onlineservices?You are authorized to use Reallusion and Vendors’ Content in your projects. You are required to applyfor free mass distribution rights by contacting marketing@reallusion.com. Reallusion will then grantyou the free authorization certificate. Reallusion owns the right to refer to or access your publicavailable media and feature it in our promotional materials.As a courtesy, we kindly request you to give credit to Reallusion and Vendors in your game or publicservice page as the source of Content.If the project formats are videos and images, there is no need to register with Reallusion."

Would creating a set of textures from the texture content (sources or Generated Photos if commercially obtained) inside CC3+ using plugins like Realistic Human Skin, SkinGen, etc., exporting those textures and applying them to my own custom character I've sculpted in ZBrush, then refine those textures in Substance and use in my game be violating/breaching the EULA thus negating the mass distribution rights?
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Hi...

The EULA allows you to use Reallusion textures like SkinGen, Realistic Human Skin etc. on a CC3 character and then place that CC3 character in a game.

Sadly it doesn't allow you to take Reallusion textures and use them on custom characters created from 3rd party products. 

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

jc_328908
jc_328908
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)

Bummer,  I guess I was confused by this website: 
https://www.reallusion.com/character-creator/game.html
where it states under "Real-time character pipeline" bringing in custom characters into and through CC3+ for the end result of game usage.

Unfortunately, this might be a deal breaker for me, as I would need a bit more custom character artist control over the CC3+ pipeline for the product to meet my game development needs.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

jc_328908 (2/6/2021)
where it states under "Real-time character pipeline" bringing in custom characters into and through CC3+ for the end result of game usage

If the character used in the game is a CC3 character then that is fine under the EULA. So for example the workflow below is permitted.

ZBrush > Character Creator > Unreal or Unity.

However, you can't take the textures from Character Creator 3 or iClone and use them with a non CC3 character created in other 3D software.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

jc_328908
jc_328908
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Peter (RL) (2/7/2021)
jc_328908 (2/6/2021)
where it states under "Real-time character pipeline" bringing in custom characters into and through CC3+ for the end result of game usage

If the character used in the game is a CC3 character then that is fine under the EULA. So for example the workflow below is permitted.

ZBrush > Character Creator > Unreal or Unity.

However, you can't take the textures from Character Creator 3 or iClone and use them with a non CC3 character created in other 3D software.

Thanks, Peter.
I thought about it a bit more, because your software seems promising for indie devs, and would really like to make this work.  I have a few questions just to iron this out in my mind as I'm new:
1. From ZBrush to CC means you create a morph on the CC character, do I have this correct?
2. We can also take the CC character and GoZ it thereby adding sculpts, but it still comes back into CC and those sculpts are another morph...correct?
3. One of my big questions is how to handle the low-poly topology if the CC topology needs refinement for any reason.  Can I take the CC character into another program and alter the topology if need be followed by my own custom skinning, rigging and animation?
4. Segway into another big question, can we take a CC character into our own program like blender or 3ds Max/Motionbuilder etc, and custom skin, rig, apply our own mocap?
5. I think it is possible to do this next one, but why not double check, take the CC textured character into Substance Painter and apply high-poly bakes and further refiement to the textures, mixing refinement with custom textures, etc....for example, say the eyes are good enough and I need to create my own eye in Designer, thereby in the end I still have a CC character with textures that have been refined/added to.
6. How much can I alter the character later, meaning, if I make changes to the low-poly CC character, but then need to delete sections of the CC body to replace with outlining clothes, so there is not extra poly's on the body not needed under the clothes, can I do that?
7. Do I need to add the clothes from Marvelous Designer in CC, or can I do that later, thereby better controlling the retopo of the clothes and corresponding high poly bakes.

Sorry for the many questions, I'm sure some of the above is explained in the EULA and I'll go back and check, but I thought I would double check on these.

EDIT: I just read the EULA again, and I wish I had more of a legal mind...some of the statements I have a challenge figuring out exactly.  Any help you can give me on the above questions would really help...for example:

Page 2 of the content EULA:
5. If the content you have purchased includes the Export License, Reallusion grants you a nonexclusive, worldwide, Royalty-Free license to export Content via 3DXchange Pipeline versioninto .fbx, .bvh, .obj or other 3D file formats. You may then embed converted content in games andapplications for personal, commercial or educational projects. Reallusion Content itself may not berepurposed, transferred, resold, regardless of format. This also applies to 3D content rendered in2D form and vice versa.

If I purchased the CC3+ Pipeline edition, does this contain the Export License listed above?  Also it says, "Reallusion Content itself may not be repurposed" that is where some of my questions above come in as far as how much I can "adjust" them to work within my needs.

...and on Page 4
5. DERIVATIVE CONTENT using a 3D mesh that is not significantly modified from the original BASECONTENT must retain the original DRM protection of the BASE CONTENT. It must also be assigned asa derivative of the BASE CONTENT when publishing in the Marketplace.

...this is where my mind starts to fog trying to follow the trail of what falls into the "Content" Base or Derived etc. Wink  Does this pertain to my questions above about adding/removing mesh data (clothes, etc.) to a CC character in my own program after I'm done in CC?

and Page 3
6. Single-user licensed content should be used under one computer and locked to the same purchaseaccount. For multiple seat AP users, Reallusion provides Workgroup Accounts for studios,corporations, and production houses to consolidate stored assets under a cloud-synced centrallocation to efficiently share, download, view, search, and organize mutual assets via the SmartGallery.

Sometimes, I need to work on a different computer (i.e. home from my work computer), can I install your software on a different computer, if I only use each install at a single time...meaning not simultaneously.  I thought I had seen somewhere mentioned this was OK, but the EULA may state otherwise above.

Edited
3 Years Ago by jc_328908
ty.xanders
ty.xanders
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (80 reputation)New Member (80 reputation)New Member (80 reputation)New Member (80 reputation)New Member (80 reputation)New Member (80 reputation)New Member (80 reputation)New Member (80 reputation)New Member (80 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Page 2. This is mostly in relation to their content store, which of course goes through cc3/ iclone.

Content store stuff comes in two formats :
iContent - Non Comercial
Export - commerical

assets that are included " as is" would come under non comercial.

"repurposed" is a little bleak to protect IP but you could go as far as stating that, taking realusion sassets from iclone or cc3 rebranding and selling a new software with those would be against this.

Page 4 derivitive state.

This is like every creative software out there, substance/ unreal/photoshop etc, this is again related to the content in an "as is" state.

say you wanted to make outfits for cc3 chars but you wanted to use the base tshirts, you can sell them but you have to change the model enough to warrent it being its own individual item from the "base" meaning the starting content you used.

with substance for example you cant take a substance change its colour and then sell it.

and with megascans and unreal you cant just take a few scans, stick them together and resell them.

you can however sell them as part of a much bigger project. you could easily state that if any thirs party content makes up less than 20% of the sold content, it's a significant change ( this would also apply to small things like a shirt, make its 80% different from base and its fine).

"and Page 3
6. Single-user licensed content should be used under one computer and locked to the same purchaseaccount. "

Key word is SHOULD and equally so companies have to be reasonable with this request if they decided to flag you up on this.
usually companies will allow up to two computers on same or different IP of a single user.

You also have the case that if you were flagged up on this and genuinely use two computers indepentantly that that could ( and should imo) be considered "reasonable use"

mostly because if you change even a single peice of hardware in a computer. it becomes a different computer entierly.

For the most part Reallusions EULA is pretty standard and reasonable and as long as you change enough principles in the content then you're fine.
morphs colours, sliders clothing physx, animations, bone structures etc are all valid points of change.
and for large projects such as a game, the character is a very very very small part of the "end user product" so always good to keep that in mind.

if you're super worried though, you can often get 30 mins free support from lawyers who could help interperate this with better tongue.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

jc_328908 (2/7/2021)
I have a few questions just to iron this out in my mind as I'm new:
1. From ZBrush to CC means you create a morph on the CC character, do I have this correct?

Yes that is correct.

2. We can also take the CC character and GoZ it thereby adding sculpts, but it still comes back into CC and those sculpts are another morph...correct?

Characters edited in ZBrush using GoZ can be saved as a new CC3 character, full character pre-set and/or as a morph. 

3. One of my big questions is how to handle the low-poly topology if the CC topology needs refinement for any reason.  Can I take the CC character into another program and alter the topology if need be followed by my own custom skinning, rigging and animation?

CC3 characters are already skinned and rigged. If you change the topology, skin and re-rig the character in 3rd party software, then the character is no longer a CC3 character and is now a custom character. The EULA doesn't permit using Reallusion textures like SkinGen on custom models as I mentioned earlier.

4. Segway into another big question, can we take a CC character into our own program like blender or 3ds Max/Motionbuilder etc, and custom skin, rig, apply our own mocap?

Same answer as question 3.

5. I think it is possible to do this next one, but why not double check, take the CC textured character into Substance Painter and apply high-poly bakes and further refiement to the textures, mixing refinement with custom textures, etc....for example, say the eyes are good enough and I need to create my own eye in Designer, thereby in the end I still have a CC character with textures that have been refined/added to.

Yes that is fine.

6. How much can I alter the character later, meaning, if I make changes to the low-poly CC character, but then need to delete sections of the CC body to replace with outlining clothes, so there is not extra poly's on the body not needed under the clothes, can I do that?

All of that can be done directly in Character Creator 3 before exporting to Unity and Unreal or other 3rd party software. This way the terms of EULA will apply.

7. Do I need to add the clothes from Marvelous Designer in CC, or can I do that later, thereby better controlling the retopo of the clothes and corresponding high poly bakes.

Adding clothing later shouldn't be a problem as long as the character remains a CC3 character.

5. If the content you have purchased includes the Export License, Reallusion grants you a nonexclusive, worldwide, Royalty-Free license to export Content via 3DXchange Pipeline version into .fbx, .bvh, .obj or other 3D file formats. You may then embed converted content in games and applications for personal, commercial or educational projects. Reallusion Content itself may not be repurposed, transferred, resold, regardless of format. This also applies to 3D content rendered in2D form and vice versa.

If I purchased the CC3+ Pipeline edition, does this contain the Export License listed above?  Also it says, "Reallusion Content itself may not be repurposed" that is where some of my questions above come in as far as how much I can "adjust" them to work within my needs.

Character Creator 3 Pipeline doesn't give you an export license for content purchased from the Content Store or Marketplace. You need to purchase the export license version of each content pack you purchase from the Stores if you wish to export the content.

...and on Page 4
5. DERIVATIVE CONTENT using a 3D mesh that is not significantly modified from the original BASECONTENT must retain the original DRM protection of the BASE CONTENT. It must also be assigned asa derivative of the BASE CONTENT when publishing in the Marketplace.

...this is where my mind starts to fog trying to follow the trail of what falls into the "Content" Base or Derived etc. Wink  Does this pertain to my questions above about adding/removing mesh data (clothes, etc.) to a CC character in my own program after I'm done in CC?

This part of the EULA is referencing the rules for re-selling in the Marketplace. It doesn't have any bearing on exporting your characters for use in game engines.

and Page 3
6. Single-user licensed content should be used under one computer and locked to the same purchase account. For multiple seat AP users, Reallusion provides Workgroup Accounts for studios, corporations, and production houses to consolidate stored assets under a cloud-synced central location to efficiently share, download, view, search, and organize mutual assets via the Smart Gallery.

Sometimes, I need to work on a different computer (i.e. home from my work computer), can I install your software on a different computer, if I only use each install at a single time...meaning not simultaneously.  I thought I had seen somewhere mentioned this was OK, but the EULA may state otherwise above.

Your license allows you to install on two computers but only one computer can be used at a time. If you need both computers in use at the same time you would need a second license.

I hope this helps a little. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

jc_328908
jc_328908
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

5. If the content you have purchased includes the Export License, Reallusion grants you a nonexclusive, worldwide, Royalty-Free license to export Content via 3DXchange Pipeline version into .fbx, .bvh, .obj or other 3D file formats. You may then embed converted content in games and applications for personal, commercial or educational projects. Reallusion Content itself may not be repurposed, transferred, resold, regardless of format. This also applies to 3D content rendered in2D form and vice versa.

Character Creator 3 Pipeline doesn't give you an export license for content purchased from the Content Store or Marketplace. You need to purchase the export license version of each content pack you purchase from the Stores if you wish to export the content.

Thanks.  Just want to double check, the models inside Character Creator 3 Pipeline are OK to use for Export and for commercial purposes?  Or are they "as is" and non-commercial.  I understand about the other contents packs as these were purchased as Export.

EDIT:  Found the answer posted here:
https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost440018.aspx

Edited
3 Years Ago by jc_328908
jc_328908
jc_328908
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

CC3 characters are already skinned and rigged. If you change the topology, skin and re-rig the character in 3rd party software, then the character is no longer a CC3 character and is now a custom character. The EULA doesn't permit using Reallusion textures like SkinGen on custom models as I mentioned earlier.

What if I don't change the topology, but need to adjust the vertex weights to fix something, can this be considered OK and not creating a custom character thereby violating the texture usage rule?

EDIT: Nevermind this question, it was kind of dumb.  I just watched the tutorial on skin weights and found the manual...it looks like these can be adjusted on the clothes.  I couldn't find where it can be done on the character's skin, but it looks like the deformation is adequate.  Actually, this brings up another question.  What if you have a mocap animation that is outside what the calibration does and the character needs skin refinement on the character not the clothes?
Edited
3 Years Ago by jc_328908

Reading This Topic