Major Issues With Export OBJ Function

Posted By Lord Ashes 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
While 3DXChange seems to work fine for me to import content into iClone format, it seems to have serious issues exporting out to OBJ file format. Here are among the issues that I have found:

1. Most of the time only part of the mesh is exported. I have ensured that "Export Selected Only" and "Remove Hidden Mesh" are uncheck but when I export, I still get only a partial export. For example, I exported content containing a pot, pan and lid. The pan and lid exported fine but the pot exported with the back half of the pot and part of the handle missing. I have tried exporting multiple content items and some of the export fine while others have partially missing meshes.

2. Sometimes the material references are not correctly exported. For example, I export a red motorcycle but when I try to re-import it (to check that it exported properly) the loaded materials are different.

3. Sometimes the exported file isn't even compatible with 3DXChange. For example, I exported my some content (in this case my 3D Printer) and when I try to re-import it back into 3DXChange (to verify the export) it claims that the file is not supported by 3DXChange.

Is there something that I can do to improve the chances of being able to export a correct OBJ file using 3DXChange? For a lot of the content in my store, I didn't bother storing the original OBJ files because I assumed I would be able to extract them any time I needed from the iClone files using 3DXChange. However, at this point (based on random sampling) I would say that probably only 50% of my content will export properly.

I will try to post some videos showing the issues that I am having but any suggestions as to how to get around this issue would be greatly appreciated.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Problem 1: Missing Mesh Parts

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Problem 2: Textures/Materials Export Incorrectly

P.S. You can also see a bit of Problem 1 (Missing Mesh) when you look at parts like the steering wheel.

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Problem 3: Export Produces Corrupt File

P.S. I was able to import the resulting corrupt file into some software but it definitely had issues (i.e. the corrupt file did not properly restore the original content)

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I have been a long time iClone user and content developer. For the most part I have been happy with the product.

However, this problem with the 3DXChange Export function is a serious issue and although I opened up tickets for each one of these issues (three in total) there does not seem to have been any update on this. 

3DXChange is a paid product that we paid for and it is not providing the advertised functionality. Understanding that I would be able to export any of my static props back to OBJ format using 3DXChange, I stored only the iProp file for most of the props in my store. Now that I would like to retrieve some of those props, I am unable to do so because of a bug in an advertised 3DXChange function. At the moment I am not able to export most of my props back into OBJ format because of this bug.

Can RL please provide some feedback on what is being done to address this seemingly huge bug? The issues have been open in Feedback Track as #7618, #7617 and #7616. As requested, I provided RL with sample content which demonstrates each of the 3 issues. However, a rough spot check seems to indicated that about half of my static Props don't export correctly via 3DXChange.

I currently have the PRO version of 3DXChange allowing me to export only to OBJ (which is all I need). However, if this issue is an issue with the Export To OBJ function and does not affect the Export To FBX (I am not sure that is the case, but if it is) then I would kindly ask RL to temporarily upgrade my 3DXChange to Pipeline (so that I can continue to export my content where needed) until the Export To OBJ feature is fixed.

wires
wires
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Yer Lordship,

If you look at the Feedback Tracker you will see that #7618 is tagged as "Fixed in Review" meaning that it has been corrected and will be available in the next release - which shouldn't be too long in coming. #7617 is "Active" and #7616 has been "Assigned" so RL have not been twiddling their thumbs in the background. Whistling

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Reading This Topic