Profile Picture

Importing UE4 characters into CC3

Posted By mybadstudios 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
mybadstudios
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The entire internet is filled with going the other way but what if I already bought a character in the UE4 market place and I want to use skin gen to make this absolutely amazing piece of super fake plastic look more human? For example, the Katanami Shadow character is everything I have been looking for in a character and the Reallusion marketplaces have nothing that comes close to the quality of the clothing this character has... but this character looks like a doll. I want to import her into CC3 and give her face the love and attention that only CC3 can do.

To the best of my knowledge, though, that is impossible even via XChange. Am I right in saying that flow of assets is definitely one way from CC to UE4 and can NOT go the other way around?
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
SkinGen is exclusively for CC characters. If you could extract the clothing somehow, you could try to make that fit for a CC character that looks like the Katanami character.

I don't use Unreal so there may be better ways.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

mybadstudios
mybadstudios
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)

I guess that is one way, yeah, thanks.
With all this "import from Daz to CC3" and all the hype about bringing Daz textures to CC3 and all the talk about using Xchange to import any model as a non-standard character I thought there might be a way to import some of the many, many characters found on the market place into CC3 also.

The process to me, at the moment, sounds like this:
Take a fully rigged character and import it into CC using Xchange, remapping the bones manually so the character will be a character in CC3. When you are done, export it back to the games engine where you then use AutoSetup to rebuild the skeleton to the exact skeleton you had before you started the entire process.
I was hoping for something better but didn't see it happening. Unless UE4 requires all characters to start out nude I guess there is no import path like with Daz.

Bringing over the clothes, though, that is not too bad an idea
Edited
3 Years Ago by mybadstudios
Dan Miller
Dan Miller
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Did you find a workflow for UE4 characters to CC3? I'm interested in doing the same thing but I see you posted a few months ago so maybe you found a solution. Thanks.
mybadstudios
mybadstudios
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Nah, apart from that "import only the clothes" suggestion it seems the only way to go from UE4 to CC3 is via 3DExchange, converting the mesh into something CC3 can use. Haven't tried that yet but I assume that is the approach they would want you to take
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
mybadstudios (4/8/2021)
Nah, apart from that "import only the clothes" suggestion it seems the only way to go from UE4 to CC3 is via 3DExchange, converting the mesh into something CC3 can use. Haven't tried that yet but I assume that is the approach they would want you to take

Characters imported via 3DXchange cannot be used in CC, but they can be imported and animated in iClone.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

mybadstudios
mybadstudios
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Well I never... :O 
I just tried to make a  custom character into a non standard character, import into iClone then send to CC3 from there. Guh! Seems the CC characters in iClone can be sent to CC just fine but my non standard characters cannot. Only option I am presented with is to send it back to 3DXchange. Who knew?

Guh! Well, now I know....
Dan Miller
Dan Miller
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Ok, thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Reading This Topic