Hand Gestures Puppeteering 2.0 (optimized!) - OFFICIAL

Posted By Eric C (RL) 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
mtakerkart
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Today @ 2:41 AM
Thank you very much Linus10111 !
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Terry Miller (12/30/2020)
I love the idea behind this plug-in, because, yes, too often hands look stiff and fake. However, as much as I like the idea, I hate the workflow.

While I will be the first to admit that it may be because I don't know what I am doing, my experience with the "recording" workflow as opposed to keyframing workflow is that it makes it next to impossible to achieve absolutely precise timing. I know, you can isolate exactly where you want it and record it there, but then it overwrites the timeline and splits it at both ends of the recording. So, it is a destructive workflow. And I know you can regroup the splits and then sample whatever you want to adjust, but in my experience, it adds a lot of extra and unnecessary keyframes; also (in my experience) it starts messing with the animation when you do that. 

If we must have a recording workflow, then why not have it write to the gestures layer of the timeline, so that it doesn't overwrite and potentially foul up your other animation?

By the way, this is not a "bash iClone" or "bash the developers" post. I use iClone almost every day in my work, and I am thankful for it. But, as with everything, there is always room for improvement.

Have a happy New Year!

Terry

I realize I'm WAY late to this party, but as I'm (finally) getting around to installing this and reading this thread I had to respond to Terry here (who might not even be around, or at least back here :>Wink.

I understand what you are saying, Terry, and perhaps it would have been better to at least have a "set key" button here (although that would be pretty easy for someone to add).  In the meantime, one thing you can do (and something I've found very useful in other similar situations in the past) is this: if you can't puppet in "real time" then change the time.  You can stretch a clip as long as you'd like, so make it two or three (or more!) times longer first, and then play it back and do your puppeteering at your own pace.  Almost anyone (even a klutz like me) can puppet properly if the timeframe is slowed down accordingly.  So first sample your main clip (if you have other hand motions -- if not, don't worry about it) then stretch and record, and then squash it.  When you have it back to the original time, flatten the clip (getting rid of excess keys and smoothing the motions out).  If you follow this procedure this tool will work for you, I promise.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Terry Miller
Terry Miller
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the tip; I am always thankful how the more experienced users are willing to help others out.
Terry
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

You're more than welcome.  I've been playing with this for the last day or so and it's a very useful tool.

However, I do agree with you it would be nice to have the ability to key these, and I don't see why that's not possible.  Assuming I have the time AND inclination (two very different things :>Wink I may well go ahead and add this capability. We'll have to see (right at the moment I'm trying to get my Leap controller to work to control the hands, as I think that may be my own best solution.  But RL isn't helpful about this -- yet.  So if that continues to be impossible making this particular tool fully functional will be a much larger priority to me.  But I would be remiss in pointing out the RL devs could easily to this, add a button to just key whatever the current hand is at the current frame.  If I knew which dev in particular had written this I'd write to them specifically).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
ak10120
ak10120
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Need help. I cannot make any use on this tool.  When I activate the plugin, all hand cycle appeared as A, B, C.., and remained the same though loading the preset hand gesture.  I also config each figure by myself and tried to move the control dot among them but nothing happen, as the control dot remain at the center.

Please help advising me what I am doing wrong and how to solve the issue.  Many thanks!

Note:
1. I open iclone in administration mode as suggested.
2. i heard somewhere that we might reset the cache of Phython sometimes.  Is it the case?  Can you advice how to do so?
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Are you actually running the animation?  Remember you must be either previewing or recording (you can't change the hands unless you start recording them).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Melvin (RL)
Melvin (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 days ago
ak10120 (4/13/2021)
Need help. I cannot make any use on this tool.  When I activate the plugin, all hand cycle appeared as A, B, C.., and remained the same though loading the preset hand gesture.  I also config each figure by myself and tried to move the control dot among them but nothing happen, as the control dot remain at the center.

Please help advising me what I am doing wrong and how to solve the issue.  Many thanks!

Note:
1. I open iclone in administration mode as suggested.
2. i heard somewhere that we might reset the cache of Phython sometimes.  Is it the case?  Can you advice how to do so?

Hi ak10120,

Did you apply and select the character before you open the HGP panel?

Melvin (RL)
Melvin (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)

And please check the console log panel when you using the HGP, It should show some information.
Seem it doesn't load the default preset for you.
If the console log shows some information, maybe you can paste it here

ak10120
ak10120
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)Junior Member (162 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Dear mkoo

Thanks for your help.

1. I had selected the avatar before applying HGP.

2. The script log is as below:
- return hand_rigger.calculate_weights(square_dist)
- AttributeError
- :
- 'HandRigger' object has no attribute 'calculate_weights'
- Traceback (most recent call last):
-  File "C:/Program Files/Reallusion/iClone 7/Bin64/OpenPlugin/Hand_Gestures_Puppeteering_v2.0/main.py", line 732, in calculate_weights

Can you please advice what goes wrong?  How to solve this.

Many thanks!
Melvin (RL)
Melvin (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Did you install the past version of HGP before?
Where did you get the latest version? MKP or Github?
If you installed the old version before, suggest you delete the whole folder of HGP.
Then reinstall it. 

Reading This Topic