Profile Picture

Noise in iray renders

Posted By hunterhpm 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
hunterhpm
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi, I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of noise in my iray renders. After I discovered only spot lights and point lights work with iray, they get even more noisy. And my IBL should be working but it does not affect the preview even though it is activated in iclone and iray and maxed out in both.

I have tried adjusting lighting, adjusting all render settings, denoiser (looks worse), and making the room invisible.

Here is the best render I've got after 5K iterations (no real improvements after around 2k). Any help much appreciated
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/462a7eb3-f1b4-4ee4-bdd8-dff0.png
Edited
4 Years Ago by hunterhpm
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
as a rule of thumb the more shadows you have to calculate for your render the longer each render takes to complete. since you added extra lights,  iray requires more time to fully calculate the render than the preview timer allows.

the iray preview render has a max timer -  you'd have to extend that,  and the way to access that parameter is to export the stand alone render version of iray -  not the preview version inside iclone.  ( click render scene to go stand alone ) - and of course the final render will take much longer to calculate all the pixels in their entirety.

basically iray is telling iclone "this is the best we can give you in the time you gave us"

there is also a "denoiser option"  if you have an nvidia gpu for a video card. -  which will basically blur the missing spots to the nearest pixel to interpolate the missing pixels. Technically that's not noise,  the black spots are missing data.  if the image was rendering each pixel from top to bottom,  you'd basically have half a picture instead of noise since the preview timer wouldn't give enough time to complete the bottom half.

the more lights you add to your scene,  the longer it will take to calculate all the shadows -  maybe try using less lights / and or removing props from the scene and render character alone,  and background separately -  then compositing them in a photo or video editor. - this may help cut down on global illumination calculations since now the computer doesn't have to calculate how colors and shadows reflect off of props.

I hope this helps Smile

Edited
4 Years Ago by planetstardragon
hunterhpm
hunterhpm
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
This was very helpful, thank you

Reading This Topic