Profile Picture

iClone Filmmakers - Collaborative Feature Film?

Posted By ultimativity 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
ultimativity
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
@ATOOM, I agree with you completely. Without a clear goal for distribution right from the inception, we would be making a YouTube video for friends to see. In fact, distribution should guide which story we eventually decide on producing, as well as format, genre, etc.   We'd welcome your experience in any discussion.

Nathan

r78zj99
r78zj99
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)

Hi everybody

the idea sounds great at first until you start reading the news on fall outs with a consortium of people, who signed agreement!

on who should have what

so, may encourage, disappointment and anger on who should have the credit.

fist fights may take place.

so, make a wise choice and sent  your work on the showcase area, please

if any of you are of any good then contact each other.

and fill in the legal requirements.

from Alan

good luck to all

ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)

@Alan, excellent point about the legal aspects of collaboration. These are important to establish at the outset so that there is a process in place for reconciling disputes.  I know I have done this in businesses I have started with partners. The businesses began friendly, but sure enough, we needed the legal framework by the end of the enterprise. Yet, having it in place enabled us all to remain friends and resolve conflicts to everyone's satisfaction.

As far as talent level, we also establish quality standards at the outset. Then we assign tasks based on ability to meet these standards. Quality control throughout the project is critical.  One of the benefits of working collaboratively is the potential for learning new skills and for improving existing skills.

Nathan

ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

So, how would we actually create a collaborative film/series for distribution to streaming platforms and entry in film festivals? 
Here is what I envision for getting started.  Free collaborative tools exist to accomplish most of these items.
  1. Pre-production: 
    1. Meet to establish purpose, scope and timeframe of project.  Draw up project plan, including preliminary schedule and anticipated costs.
    2. Meet to establish business plan, legal entity (production company), and ownership. Draw up business plan, including budget and where to establish legal entity.
    3. Meet to determine project product; format (feature or series pilot), genre, and final product specifications, based on streaming platform and film festival specs. Create Production site.
    4. Meet to conduct work breakdown, including milestones and timeframes. Determine participant roles and assignments. 
    5. Meet to update and finalize production schedule, based on available personnel and resources.
Following Pre-production, we would need to complete Production, Post-Production and Distribution.
I anticipate Production burning the most hours.

Your feedback welcome,
Nathan

Nathan

Edited
4 Years Ago by ultimativity
4413Media
4413Media
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
There has been collaborations in the past, but they're usually short projects like the 48 hour film festival. There was one major project in another community that revolved around a grind house short collage. It's an option to consider, make a series of shorts that revolve around a central theme or genre. 

iClone Certified Director and makes miserable Westerns.
r78zj99
r78zj99
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)Veteran Member (519 reputation)

thank you, ultimativity  & all

I am very glad and please

to help our team efforts without too many conflicts.

from Alan

for those who are ambitious you make your mark now or sometime in the future

we all have to start somewhere, I am still learning and also correcting my mistakes.

Edited
4 Years Ago by r78zj99
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
The project approach is probably the only way to pull something like a feature-length film off with multiple collaborators.

For me personally that would also be the problem.

I have worked on software projects as well, developed project plans with milestones, etc. I retired from that for a reason, to get away from it and have fun doing animation.

The hardest part, I think, is to keep you collaborators motivated, especially for a long-term project. That's why the idea of doing shorts first makes sense, as it will help to streamline the process.

Also, shorts are not to be dismissed. If you are looking for financing, a short can be a good calling card. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

r78zj99
r78zj99
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I agree with you  animagic

looking the history of animation from the likes of Walt Disney back then a minimum of 2 years or greater was required.

so, short animation may get you notice.

for that bit of short animation long term requires dedication and cooperation.

for you to reach your target or theirs 

the simple message here is be your own boss or be somebody else's employee.

from Alan

p.s.  if it is fun for you continue or not have a rethink

r78zj99
r78zj99
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I agree with you  animagic

looking the history of animation from the likes of Walt Disney back then a minimum of 2 years or greater was required.

so, short animation may get you notice.

for that bit of short animation long term requires dedication and cooperation.

for you to reach your target or theirs 

the simple message here is be your own boss or be somebody else's employee.

from Alan

p.s.  if it is fun for you continue or not have a rethink

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
keep it fun,  minecraft became a movie because it was fun and had a big following,  Hollywood doesn't take chances anymore,  the industry pays for people with a following. 

I've seen the business model over and over,  from bands like https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/ned-flanders-metal-band-okilly-dokilly-the-simpsons-819321/ 
who started as a gag band for fun and now became a staple to the simpsons ......to Facebook which started as no income fun,  and ended up as a billionaire  global spy network Blink

as I'm reading this thread,  and watching all the "technical administrative aspects",   - it's starting to not look fun,  further,  someone always gets the short end of the stick,  no matter how you make this work.   it's the nature of the business lol.......at least if you keep it fun,  they get to go home with that  w00t

Do something fun,  grow a following / culture -  then figure out how to monetize it when you have all eyes on you.   Any big plans beyond that is a .02 cent royalty check distributed  2x a year.  and when you deposit it,  you'll be saying "The important thing is we had fun!" anyways   -   Get the artists involved in such a project,  a fan base with a big following,  that fan base will be worth more than the movie itself.  forget hollywood,  grow a fan base as a community. grow from there,  the fan base will tell you what they will pay for.

Edited
4 Years Ago by planetstardragon

Reading This Topic