Profile Picture

Is it just me or do male characters look better?

Posted By Data Juggler 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Data Juggler
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 minutes ago
I have created about a dozen characters in the two weeks since I have owned the headshot plug in, and the male characters seems levels better than the female.

I can't place what's off, but it has something to do with the shape of the head.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8cb03b0a-06a7-41ba-9b76-b876.png

Same with this couple, the man looks better to me. It could be I am using older characters for men who have more detail.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a0c6e43b-b59a-4b9e-bbe1-1e4e.png

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

3DChick
3DChick
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
I always think male characters look better, too, but I've assumed it's because we can add "character lines" without losing "attractiveness." But yeah, you might be onto something with the head thing, too. Most of my characters come in from Daz, but then get a lot of tweaking, and I think Daz head/face ratio is different. Like CC3 women's faces are too small for their heads or something. In Daz what bugs me are the emaciated arms women get--like twigs, and the upper arms are always too short, male or female, so I guess every software/every designer has its quirks.

One thing I do when using CC3 skins is turn down the AO on women in particular and turn up the micro roughness (as in scale it so it's bigger, unless it's a super close up) Those two things seem to help.

Now, I'm going to have to play around and see, like with Jade and Jody. Once I finish rendering this crazy long scene I made sigh.

In your couple, tho' she looks quite good--good character in her face, like a real person.

:-)

Data Juggler
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 minutes ago
She is one of the better ones. 

I tried using a Neutral female also, it came out about the same. Part of it with the headshot creator is women's hair get in the way more than men's.

The tools are still getting better every year. I need to spend more time writing, but usually I see what I can create and write around that.

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

Guyon
Guyon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
So agree that they need more work on the females.
But that is also true in general art.  Females are just harder to draw.  Still Daz studio does not seem to have this issue.

A few of the problems I see are foreheads.  I can get it right if I sculpt it, but CC3 tools are lacking in getting the forehead right..  Also the eyes just can not pull of sensual, they all look a little strained or alien. I have had some issues with cheeks and basic head shapes need a lot of work too.  Heads never are great

Reading This Topic