FBX Export Fails due to file path length

Posted By jerome.dipietro 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jerome.dipietro
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
A heads up for anyone having the same issue... Using the export to FBX functionality I'm getting a pop up that appears saying 'FBX Export Failed'. The fail message with no real explanation could do with being updated with meaningful user feedback as I'm pretty sure that the export process is failing because of the length of the file path. The operating system (I'm on 64bit Windows10) is not letting the application create the texture files.

I'm working in this folder:
D:\__REALLUSION\_PROJECTS\TEENS\_GIRLS\Teen-Afro_Girl_1\_EXPORTS\_v2c_smoothed-blazer-pockets\
and the file name is Teen_Afro_Girl_2__009b_GameReady_SingleTexture_uniformed.Fbx

which then tries to generate all the necessary texture files, one of the longer ones being, for example:
D:\__REALLUSION\_PROJECTS\TEENS\_GIRLS\Teen-Afro_Girl_1\_EXPORTS\_v2c_smoothed-blazer-pockets\textures\Teen_Afro_Girl_2__009b_GameReady_SingleTexture_uniformed\Teen_Afro_Girl_2__009b_GameReady_SingleTexture_uniformed\CC_Base_Body\Std_Upper_Teeth_Pbr 

* which fails.
Did a bit of Googling and it seems that there's a 260 characters file path limit, so one of the files being written to disk is probably hitting that  and causing CC3 to fail.

This works:
working folder: D:\__REALLUSION\_PROJECTS\TEENS\_GIRLS\Teen-Afro_Girl_1\_EXPORTS\_v2b _smiling\
file name: Teen_Afro_Girl_2__009_GameReady_SingleTexture_uniformed.Fbx

which creates a path as long as:
D:\__REALLUSION\_PROJECTS\TEENS\_GIRLS\Teen-Afro_Girl_1\_EXPORTS\_v2b _smiling\textures\Teen_Afro_Girl_2__009_GameReady_SingleTexture_uniformed\Teen_Afro_Girl_2__009_GameReady_SingleTexture_uniformed\CC_Base_Body\Std_Upper_Teeth_Pbr

So now I'm exporting to C:/temp/ and all's working fine.

Unity Virtual Reality Developer

Reading This Topic