Request: More Basic Examples Needed

Posted By Lord Ashes 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
While I do appreciate all of the Python API sample scripts that have been provided which illustrate a number of different things that can be achieved through the scripting, they are not ideal for someone who is just starting out with the Python API scripting (because they typically include a lot more than the bare minimum).

For example, I found the Basic Animation page (https://wiki.reallusion.com/IC_Python_API:Basic_Animation) really informative because it really showed almost the bare bones functions that are needed to be called in order to apply transforms to an object. This meant that within a few minutes, I was able to write transform scripts without even having written a Python API script before. However, other topics such as character bone animation is introduce through advanced script examples such as the Hand Gesture Puppeteering example (https://wiki.reallusion.com/IC_Python_API:Hand_Gestures_Puppeteering) which contain a lot of other content making less suitable for beginner to study.

I think it would be really useful if more Basic script samples were provide which would illustrate features with not necessarily practical scripts but show the bare bones needed to implement functions.

Immediate Basic that I am looking for, but I am sure that there are may other, would be:

1. Basics needed to animate a bone on an Avatar (e.g. what is the bare minimum scripting needed to rotate an arm)
2. Basics needed to animate a bone on a non-standard character (e.g. what is the bare minimum scripting needed to rotate an bone1)

I have found, with the help of the forum, how to do Item#1 but the same script does not work on non-standard armatures so I am unable to use the same scripts to achieve #2.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
Thank you for the feedback. I will pass this on to the team for review. 

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Peter (RL) (10/5/2020)
Thank you for the feedback. I will pass this on to the team for review. 

As I said, the current examples are great for showing how to integrate it all to achieve more practical solution but the Basic pages are really good for starting out because they typically highlight only the functions needed. 

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
I'm not sure if you have seen them but there are some fundamental samples like the one below:

http://wiki.reallusion.com/IC_Python_API:Transformation_Key

You can also find more information below:

Plus If you have have some specific topics you want to have a sample or tutorial, just post on the forum and we add it to our list. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic