Profile Picture

Iclone powerful, has some unique untapped potential

Posted By adamgflynn 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
adamgflynn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey Guys, I'm new here.
My wife is teaching a computer animation class at her school and had learned about character creator and Iclone, so I purchased it as a gift for her birthday.
As I was watching her use it, I got intrigued by some of the capability of iclone.
Personally, I work in the visual effects industry working in commercials. I use a really cool tool called Flame (It's currently owned by Autodesk)
The tool is a swiss army knife for visual effects. It's primarily a compositing system. It has a really cool 3D system that works very much like a game engine.(like iclone)
We have IBL, substance materials, shadows etc. It's unique environment allows someone to solve a shot very quickly without going through the typical vfx pipeline.

Some of the features in IClone are pretty amazing. the realtime rendering ability is good and the quality of the lights and shadows look great. I wish I had Iclones rendering abilities inside of flame. Especially features such as 
GI. I believe iClone has a lot of potential at being a vfx post fx tool, using it in a similar manner we use flame for. It would require a few things. 1, you need to be able to work with different framerates. It's extremely rare to ever see a project done in 30fps progressive of 60 fps.2 Having the ability to work with color management. Scene linear color space is so common now, for good reason. Rendering images with 16bit float precision as well . 3. Have the ability to export out multipass images Zdepth pass, normals, matte ID's for example. Adjusting attributes in post is essential, especially things like depth of field when you're trying to combine your plate with it. . A render layer management system which would intuitively give you the ability to break your scene into layers.
You guys have some powerful tech, and with some features like i mentioned above, you could attract an entirely new customer base. Perhaps the changes I mentioned are not possible with how the tech is currently being used.
I can understand that.
You would surely be able to charge far more than $200 for it. I feel like your systems is very cool, it's such a shame how so much potential is going under utilized right now.

gordryd
gordryd
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Regarding #3:  The iRay plug-in for iClone/CC can create compositing elements (see this link from the manual):
https://manual.reallusion.com/Iray_Render_Plug_in/ENU/1/Default.htm#Iray_Plugin/1.0/07_Render_Settings/Compositing_Elements.htm%3FTocPath%3DRender%2520Settings%2520Tab%7CCompositing%2520Elements%7C_____0
The downside is that iRay is definitely not realtime...

Reallusion Certified Director / Reallusion Best Visual Award / Reallusion Certified Content Developer
See all the G-Tools Plug-Ins available for iClone here: G-Tools Plug-Ins

adamgflynn
adamgflynn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)Junior Member (208 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks for the message gordryd.
Good to know about Iray. I did purchase that. Sadly it's very slow.Nice to see you guys have options Smile

Reading This Topic