Profile Picture

Sketch Bones

Posted By Greenlaw 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Greenlaw
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)Senior Member (378 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
One feature I'd like to see added to Cartoon Animator 4 Pipeline's toolset is something like the Sketch Bones tool found in Moho Pro. The way this tool works is you can draw your bone chain with it, and then use the same tool to draw the shape you want the bones to take at any keyframe.

For example, to create the chain, you simply draw the bone chain on the screen. If you start drawing from an existing bone, that bone becomes the parent bone for the chain. Also, before you draw your bone chain, you can enter the number of bones you wish to fit within the stroke...the bones are automatically scaled to fit the length of the drawn stroke.

When you're ready to animate the bone chain, you simply draw the shape you want the bone chain to take by drawing from the base of any bone in the chain to the tip. (I usually start drawing from the root of the bone chain; this makes interpolation to the next keyframe more predictable.)

I find Sketch Bones is an efficient way to animate tails, rope, hair...pretty much anything that needs to wave or whip in a realistic manner, and it's much faster to work with than using IK or manual bone adjustments, especially when there are many bones in the chain.

I hope this or something similar to Sketch Bones is possible in a future release of CA4. Smile

D.R. Greenlaw, Artist/Partner - Little Green Dog
My 2nd 'DreamWorks Animation' Reel (2020) | My 'DreamWorks Animation' Reel (2017) | My 'The Asylum' Reel (2015)

Edited
4 Years Ago by Greenlaw

Reading This Topic