The Weak Link of Live Link - stupid question

Posted By cinemyscope 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
cinemyscope
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi,
This may be a stupid question but I am still struggeling with the sequence recorder in UE using Live Link.  The results are just so unpredictable, especailly when the machine can't reach 60fps.  Recently I thought I was all fine (finally) and when I rendered out the video it turned out to be all sped up.  Clearly the sequence recorder dropped too many frames and it's frustrating to trial end error for weeks to figure out how to get an animation rendered just to run into another sequence recorder related fail.

So here comes the stupid question:
After transferring the iClone model over to UE.  Is there any way to export the animation as a file from iC and import/apply it to the model/s in UE, effectively skipping the sequence recorder step?

I don't want to do the import of the entire model as an FBX into UE becasue then I'll have all the nightmare of having to deal with the textures, so I definately want to use live link for the model transfer, but the sequence recorder is an issue.

Any help and advice with this would be greatly appreciated!
rosuckmedia
rosuckmedia
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Hello cinemyscope
Check out the video of Bassline 303,
Tips and Tricks for Unreal Engine 4 Page 104 (FBX Export Animation from Iclone 7)
I think it will help you
Best regards rosuckmediaSmile

cinemyscope
cinemyscope
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Thank you Rosuckmedia!
And DANKE!!! Bassline - wie immerSmile
This is definately getting to what I've been lookign for.  Now if I have a linked object too.  I assume I have to export the animation in the same way for all the linked objects?
Here is why I ask:

I ran not too long ago into an issue when attatching a helmet and visor to the model the textures got all screwed up when sending them through the Live Link  I did report this to Reallusion and the team got back to me, after checking my file, recomending I change from PBR to SSS shader.  Problem with that was/is that things like "glass" don't seem to work in an SSS shader, so some objects just needed to stay PBR it seems.

Long story short, the model is waring a face mask and a helmet and there is glass, and there is a shining light on the helmet which is just a sphere to which I applied emissive material in UE.  All of this is linked which is probably why I can't even get close to a 60fps sequence transfer.  So am I right to assume that I need to export an animation for all of these seperate objects?

Thank you!!!
Edited
4 Years Ago by cinemyscope
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
ok , my try to explain :

Is it linked to a Character Bone?  That would be ok.
When you import or transfer a Character A (with helmet)  from IC or CC3 to Unreal , UE4 creates a Skeleton A and a Mesh A for this Character A.
Now you can export animations or facials or both from any other CC3 Character to this Skeleton A.
As long as you import into the same folder (with Character A) UE4 chooses Skeleton A automatically.

So , when you are only importing animations you should not get any problems because you are only importing bone keyframes for the Skeleton A and your Helmet will be still linked to Skeleton A  ;-)

Edited
4 Years Ago by Bassline303

Reading This Topic