Profile Picture

09 - Substance Painter Workflow (New in CC v3.31)

Posted By Miranda (RL) 4 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
vidi
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I struggle still with Texture Mapping assign to the tiles.
I have baked a curvature map an want it use as Mask,  but all what I have is a Texture from Head  with a number 6. That indicated that are 6 Maps  are baked. 
But  I have no idea how all the other 5 textures are. I can not choose 

Also you show in your screens import the maps, but do you that with new layers for every tiles, or can I use a single layer and assign the textures to the associated set? That is not clear in your description . 
I get it not worked with a single Layer  But if many Layer needed that is too complicated workflow for my taste. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

vidi
vidi
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Strange, I have try Projection "match per UV tile" several times without success, but after posting here it seems to work.Hehe

liebe Grüße vidi

Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
vidi (9/6/2020)
Strange, I have try Projection "match per UV tile" several times without success, but after posting here it seems to work.Hehe

aha! Thank you for the update. Tongue

Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Video tutorial is available now!

SpiderTec
SpiderTec
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Here is an install tip for substance painter plugin CCv3 to avoid what I did. I had CCv3 open at the time of downloading and clicked to install, saw nothing in CCv3, then looked at the file .spexp and went in circles (looking up the file format) until I closed CCv3 then opened CCv3 and saw it was in CCv3 after I closed then opened it. if works fine Thanx.
Edited
4 Years Ago by SpiderTec
olivier.gemayel
olivier.gemayel
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)

Hello,
I have Substance Painter 2019, and Character_Creator.spexp file didn't work out, can you give us a copy screen of how you create that file so we can do it in previous version.
Best regards,
Olivier
mark.3dwards
mark.3dwards
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (360 reputation)Senior Member (360 reputation)Senior Member (360 reputation)Senior Member (360 reputation)Senior Member (360 reputation)Senior Member (360 reputation)Senior Member (360 reputation)Senior Member (360 reputation)Senior Member (360 reputation)

I've been trying to get this to work and it's almost there but not quite I think unless I'm missing something obvious :-)
I also have some tips that were not in the video.
The export seems to work fine but I made sure I flipped it to 4k export in the skingen modifier area so I could work with 4k textures, in the vid I think the 2k textures are exported by default then get upscaled to 4k, I'd rather down scale them to 2k as needed so import them back as 4k and let character creator downscale them for faster viewing.

The substance export pre-set appears to be set up to export all png files, the CC3 export exports all jpg except the normal map which is png.
Also the normal png export is set at 8bit not 16bit in the substance exporter
I tried several goes at importing and tweaking the exports so the names matched what was exported exactly using the plugin (the are uppercased in the export lowercase in the import) but I couldn't get anything to get it to import correctly.  It's not a big deal it's easy enough to drag and drop them in but it would be nice if it worked.
Then tips!
In the video AO and Normal maps are baked I think that's a bad idea it will just get that info from the single mesh and the AO will look bad and the Normals will be flat then if you export that and import it back into character creator you've lost all the AO and normal data.
I just added the normal maps to the fill layer for each udim mask but made sure I changed each one to open GL as it's direct x by default no matter what you set in the substance painter import (that only works if it can auto map it to the baked texture slots I tihnk which it doesn't in this case), there's a little drop down you can choose it.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9c82f856-17a1-4613-b42f-54f7.jpg

Also like the opacity channel you can manually add an AO channel rather than messing with the baked textures so I added that to all the fill layers and dropped the custom AO maps in that then it's super easy to edit them if you want to as well, same for the normal maps
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e3e8e6f2-352c-4159-81b9-d667.jpg
That way when you export you are going to maintain the whole texture set (assuming that's what you want) I can see people getting unexpected results if they bake the AO and normals as the video.

hope this is helpful! the export work great :-) and the import is a nice to have, the drag and drop is dead easy as well so it's not a massive deal.

Mark

vidi
vidi
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

yes baking of maps make only sense with a detailed high res resource.
I think, That video will only show that now baking is possible with CC character. 
before that we had the problem with the uv tiles.

liebe Grüße vidi

Edited
4 Years Ago by vidi
olivier.gemayel
olivier.gemayel
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)

It's important to use Substance Painter 2020.2 or above, because with the previous version you don't have access to the "Tiles", and many characters use this technique in character creator.
matejkez
matejkez
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
How do you get the materials to show in substance painter? I am not seeing them in the shelf after creating the new project according to what you show. I see your window has info under "Import mesh normal maps" , mine shows nothing. When I try to import materials separately, it says the type is unrecognized.

Thanks

Reading This Topic