Profile Picture

Is it worth to become a content developer for iclone?

Posted By ReiniWien 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Author
Praise.png
ReiniWien
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (440 reputation)Senior Member (440 reputation)Senior Member (440 reputation)Senior Member (440 reputation)Senior Member (440 reputation)Senior Member (440 reputation)Senior Member (440 reputation)Senior Member (440 reputation)Senior Member (440 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Please share your knowledge. Of course it depends on your content. But any feedback is welcome.
coolhewitt24
coolhewitt24
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Hi ReiniWien, 
Thanks for posting. I was eager to create content for cartoon animator a couple of years ago. My main reason for uploading content to the marketplace was to get DA points to exchange for content.  I agreed to the 60/40 exchange rate.  I found it to be not worth my time after awhile. The cost of software plus designing time and rigging time makes it not worth it.  I'd would be interested in hearing about your experience.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
ReiniWien (8/22/2020)
Please share your knowledge. Of course it depends on your content. But any feedback is welcome.

It depends on what you mean by "Is it worth it". If you mean "will I get rich" then the that is very unlikely. If you mean can I earn a small side income then that is very much possible and will be worth it if you enjoy the satisfaction of content creation and seeing your content being used by others.

Of course this won't happen overnight nor will it work if you only release one or two content packs and then stop. You will need to put in time and effort and most importantly create good quality content that users want. We have had many success stories over the years such as long time developers like Alley and BigBoss who have huge libraries of content and who even sell other developers content in their high profile stores. 

So overall if your only goal to to make money then it may not be for you. However, if you create content for fun now and enjoy doing so then why not open a store and make a little income at the same time.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Garry Pye (RL)
Garry Pye (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I know this original question was regarding iCLone, but I saw some responses to peoples experience with Cartoon Animator that greatly differ to my own, so i thought I would offer a different perspective, as I imagine both marketplaces work in a similar way. I have been producing content for the 2D Marketplace now for six years. When I started, it was a fun hobby that gave me a little extra spending money. I worked hard, and at the end of 2018 I was able to sell my family business of 31 years and focus on my content development as a full time job. This may not happen for everyone, but this is proof that it CAN happen if you have good content and work hard. 

Also, it costs nothing to list your work in the Marketplace, which is amazing!
vidi
vidi
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week

I think so, it depends of Quality and promotion 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

The Elliseran Modeller
The Elliseran Modeller
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
Yes I agree. But how do you promote your products. In the past 15 days I have had over 1000 downloads but mostly of my free stuff. Since March I have had over 6,600 downloads and made $151.95. Not much really. I post a lot of models on sites for other engines and get a lot of feedback from users. But here it seems items are downloaded,  no thanks, no response and to date I have been star rated once. This seems like a not very together community.
However I agree with Gary Pye that at least the presentation on screen is good and free.
So any ideas on how to promote ones stuff?
The Elliseran Modeller
The Elliseran Modeller
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)Veteran Member (785 reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
Garry not Gary. Sorry mate.
Dorothy Jean
Dorothy Jean
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
It is worth it for me personally. I call it my full time side job. I literally spend all my free time creating things or practicing. Its also my hobby so I would be doing something similar anyway, so getting paid is just a bonus and that caused it to become sort of an addiction too!
Depending on how much content you submit and the quality of it, then it could be worth it for you.

It took about 6 months till I was making anything worth while, and then after a year it was getting better, now I'm going on two years and its gotten even better.

If you would like any advice please reach out!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/dbdccbe9-2417-45d2-b87d-7b31.jpg

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I'll throw in my 2 cents...

First, let me tell you my background. I have been a RL marketplace content developer since 2015. I am self taught and have never taken any professional course or related training. I am mentioning this because maybe with format training the results could be different...I have no way of knowing.
Second, I am developing and selling content as a hobby using some of my spare time to create content. I am not spending the equivalent of a job (i.e. 8 hours a day) working on content. Once again, I am mentioning this because if I spent my full work day working on content, maybe the results could be different.

Since the beginning, creating content has been providing me a fairly steady income to support my other hobbies but nowhere near enough money to make it my living. I am fairly sure that if I actually calculated how much time I spent on making the content as to how much it has paid, I'd probably be earning less than minimum wage...but for me, that isn't the point. I like creating 3D content and the fact that I can make some money from it is a bonus. One of the nice things about selling digital content (as opposed to physical items) is that you make the content once and then can sell it many times. Even when I don't create new content for a while, the income keeps coming. Obviously if I stopped making new content completely, the sales would probably start to dwindle but a lot of my old content is still being purchased by new users.

It should also be noted that unless you content uses RL meshes, becoming a Reallusion marketplace content developer does not lock you down to a Reallusion marketplace store only. As far as I know, Reallusion does not have any exclusion clause preventing you for selling your content elsewhere (as long as it does not use any of the RL meshes). This is common for a lot of companies. DAZ Studio, for example, has a similar clause - you can resell your content elsewhere as long as it is not using any of the DAZ Studio meshes. This means that if the content you create is completely your own, you can sell it on multiple websites to maximize your income from the same content.  

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast

Reading This Topic