Profile Picture

Motion Live - Brekel body V3

Posted By amckenzie 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
amckenzie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Hi everyone,
I'm just about to dip my toes into a potential plugin for Motion Live to link streaming data from Brekel Body 3.  It's probably been about ten years since I've done serious programming so I'm playing a bit of guesswork and creative problem-solving in delving in the python api.

I've spoken to the software developer (Jasper) and the data is streamed out of the app in standardised format - he has it set up so it'll go to Unreal Live link in this manner, so I'm presuming (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) the logic should then be in Iclone - to set up a TCP connection to that data, align the map of data from brekel to the object source in Iclone - and I'm presuming Motion Live would do the rest.

Or in a simpler format - seeing that Motion Live has the tcp handler then it's a case of mapping the day to the rig?

I'll have a play around in the coming weeks but am open to any suggestions.

regards

Andrew

cinemyscope
cinemyscope
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi,
I just used the Brekel trial and came here to ask for some general Mocap cleanup tutorials when I saw your post.  I've now tried ipi, iClones own Kinect Mocap and Brekel.  Of the three I'd say Brekel does best.  Ipi didn't record head rotation, and iClones native Kinect plug in jitters (I e-mailed tech support we'll see if there is a fix other than the "smooth" slider which doesn't fix it.   Brekel is relatively smooth and the head rotation is also recorded.

In your workflow you need 3DXchange.  I tried FBX export from Brekel which didn't work in 3DXchange.  It only imported with 1 frame.  I'm sure there is a workaround if I'd troubleshoot but my first solution was to try to export a BVH file and since that worked I felt no need to poke around further why the fbx didn't work.  Brekel has a setting to start with T-pose.  Activate that before recording so you always have a T-pose up front for 3DXchange.

Then in 3DXchange choose "Convert to Non-Standard character" on the bottom right under "Character".
Then on the top right for the IK setup choose the Maya preset. 
Open iClone and make sure your character is selected.
In 3DExhange have the motion file selected in your Animation/Motion Library (bottom right) and click "Apply to iClone"

That's it.  Now the animation should be applied to your character.
amckenzie
amckenzie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)Senior Member (477 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Hi there,
fbx export from Brekel works fine on import to 3dxchange using the Maya template - I haven't had any issues there, but it's still an additional step - which is why I'm exploring a direct feed into Iclone.  What I like about Brekel is that i can have actors simply walk onto the set and they're ready to go.
xzevlin
xzevlin
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
I have absolutely no insight into this at all, but I'm happy to help you test if that's something you need at some point.  I've been gathering Kinects for the last month for motion capture.  I should have a Brekel Body 3 setup using two for 360 and two for Xbox One starting next week.

Reading This Topic