EarthSculptor / Vue Infinite - Terrains to IClone

Posted By razr 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
razr
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Can anyone who has successfully made custom terrains in Earthsculptor / Vue Infinite, please share their workflow, settings to use, things to look out for etc etc ?  How to get the detailed texture across etc.

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

particleboy
particleboy
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Hi razr,

You can see the tutorials here.

I got some help from Dreamcube to import textures here

Finally because I have a sub-optimal computer/video card when I export the mesh as an iclone model (vns) I turn off Hardware Rendering, turn off Detail, turn off Light.

Then I import Set .. Props and it appears to work.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
razr
razr
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Thanks, I tried it and the textures come over fine if exported separately from the mesh.

Another question is what size terrain do you create in Earthsculptor to get it to be the same size as the prebuilt field, desert etc ?   And how do you handle the terrain edges so that they don't stick out ?

safegaard
safegaard
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi razr

It all depend on how strong your computer is and how you want to use the landscape in the project.

Ofcourse the bigger landscape take more power. There is a possibility to make a big landscape and split in 4 part so you only can use that part you actually need for the specific scene.

I normally use very big landscapes in moderate quality because even in the best quality you have to put gras, trees, rocks and so on in after to get a decent look.

You should see it as something you have to use beneath the other stuff for getting a background color right and so. It will newer get a foto realistisk texture if it stand alone.

I have tried out most of the software one can get like bryce, vue,etc. but when i got a great landscape in vue it just is so big it want fit my needs. And i found Vue vas one of the best software to make landscape in. However, Earth sculpture is amazing because it can do a very great landscape to build on and in a solution iClone can run without problems.

I have attached a picture of a landscape in extreme big size and only put this ship in to lustrate the size of it. The ship is a lot bigger then what usually is used in iclone. So it is BIG -

When you work with Earth Sculpture i suggest you make a landscape and then export in different size to iClone and name them with the export settings so you can se what works best for you and your pc. Its only once, then you know.

Hope that help a little. For iClone i vote 100% for Earth Sculpture. Smile

For the love of 3d http://www.safegaard.com

hj
hj
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
hi

here, a example made with vue infinite

you can get the iprop here

hans jörgen

Fehler gehören zum Leben.
Was zählt, ist, wie man auf Fehler reagiert
Niki Giovanni
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1a2f83b8-b491-4e74-bf8b-6a98.jpg

Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hmmm. I thought terrains in Vue were extremly high in polycount... is that not so?

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.
safegaard
safegaard
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Dreamcube017 (3/21/2010)
Hmmm. I thought terrains in Vue were extremly high in polycount... is that not so?

You hit the nail on the head there. Smile

For the love of 3d http://www.safegaard.com

softbotz
softbotz
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (425 reputation)Senior Member (425 reputation)Senior Member (425 reputation)Senior Member (425 reputation)Senior Member (425 reputation)Senior Member (425 reputation)Senior Member (425 reputation)Senior Member (425 reputation)Senior Member (425 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
At first I thought Earth Sculpter was a joke, but after using it for awhile it has become a very valuable tool and is the easiest and fastest program I have found to create all kinds of terrains. Personally I think it is much easier than Vue and feels more natural. It's pretty easy to recreate a terrain from looking out your window or from a photo. iClone integration works but could be better, especially when it comes to adding water in iClone. Notice the hard lines in the pic above. That can be resolved with a bit more work and planning in Earth Sculpter I've achieved the best results by leaving the outside edge level and then building the terrain up or down inwards from the outside edges, using erosion, soften and push/pull when I get to the water level.
warlord720
warlord720
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.8K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Vue by itself is indeed high poly but after running it thru max with some modifiers then remapping the uv you can cut the poly count to less than earth sculptor. Haven't tried it with balancer but it would probably do as good or better. Really like earth sculptor though. I'm certainly not an expert at it but I get what I want out of it.

Another good thing about Vue is rendering out G-Buffer info (even with a still) and using that in after effects with a 3D matte to integrate iClone rendered characters and props that appear to interact with the environment.

--------------------------------------------------
I LIVE to anymate, irritate and machinamate. Not necessarily in that order.

Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
warlord720 (9/13/2010)
Another good thing about Vue is rendering out G-Buffer info (even with a still) and using that in after effects with a 3D matte to integrate iClone rendered characters and props that appear to interact with the environment.

Slightly off-topic, but since you are talking about mattes in an authoritative way Smile maybe you can help me understand the use of matte paintings. I assume we can agree that a matte is a flat picture than stands in for a real 3D scene in the distance.

What I want to know is some rule of thumb or philosophy about mattes in regard to parallax. When can you have confidence in a matte versus when does it fail to trick the eye? There's no parallax motion when the camera moves.

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards

Reading This Topic