Chris Tests

Posted By cnmeyer1980 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
cnmeyer1980
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 days ago
Hi everyone,

I've just started to play around with the plugin Smile 

Installing the plugin was incredibly simple, so, thats a good start Smile 

A couple of things I've found so far are:

1: Rendering out via the plugin takes a lot longer than if you were going to render a png sequence without the plugin - the sequence took nearly an hour?
2: When rendering out via the plugin, I've noticed a couple of gremlins with the render, one of the characters slides around, and the eyes go a bit strange.
3: Also, for some reason, when rendering out via the plugin, the characters import into AE slightly squashed - I can fix this manually, no problem - however, its a little strange - I can look into my AE settings to see if anything is wrong with the way AE is set up?

I've rendered out a little sequence - its not a final sequence (and I need to fix the directions of the eyes, this was really just a quick render to see how it talks to After Effects, so, don't worry, I will do MUCH better tests and renders, this is just something to get the ball rolling.

Overall though, apart from the few little things I've noticed on this quick test, I think its great, I love the way each character renders out as a separate image sequence, that will really help when working in After Effects as you can reposition the characters if needed.

I will do more tests in the morning Smile
KanoEder
KanoEder
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
cnmeyer1980 (5/13/2020)
Hi everyone,

I've just started to play around with the plugin Smile 

Installing the plugin was incredibly simple, so, thats a good start Smile 

A couple of things I've found so far are:

1: Rendering out via the plugin takes a lot longer than if you were going to render a png sequence without the plugin - the sequence took nearly an hour?
2: When rendering out via the plugin, I've noticed a couple of gremlins with the render, one of the characters slides around, and the eyes go a bit strange.
3: Also, for some reason, when rendering out via the plugin, the characters import into AE slightly squashed - I can fix this manually, no problem - however, its a little strange - I can look into my AE settings to see if anything is wrong with the way AE is set up?

I've rendered out a little sequence - its not a final sequence (and I need to fix the directions of the eyes, this was really just a quick render to see how it talks to After Effects, so, don't worry, I will do MUCH better tests and renders, this is just something to get the ball rolling.

Overall though, apart from the few little things I've noticed on this quick test, I think its great, I love the way each character renders out as a separate image sequence, that will really help when working in After Effects as you can reposition the characters if needed.

I will do more tests in the morning Smile

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your testing, I have a couple of question, how do you think about updating in After Effect.
In other words, do you have a feature to update the After Effect from Cartoon Animator or exporting to After Effect is the final render in your workflow?
Another question is how long is it reasonable to export the render CTA project to After Effect?

KanoEder
KanoEder
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)Junior Member (140 reputation)

Hi Chris,

Could you provide your project to me for testing?
I will pass to our RD dep. for the further confirmed sliding issues.

Thank you.
cnmeyer1980
cnmeyer1980
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)Veteran Member (922 reputation)

Hi there,

I would usually export the image sequence from CTA and then comp the scene in AE and render from AE as my final render - one reason is that I have a plugin that does a fantastic job of motion blur and it just smooths out the motion.

For me, NOTHING beats CA4 in character animation, to be honest, I'm actually inspired by users who do the whole process in CA4.

My current pipeline is as follows:

1: Create the character in Photoshop using your psd templates as a guide for rigging.
2: Import into CA4
3: Set up the head turns in CA4 composer (love this, so simple to use)
4: Animate in CA4
5: Export as a png sequence - transparent background
6: Import in AE as a png sequence 
7: Comp the scene in AE + Add motion blur before rendering

What I can see from your plugin, and what I LOVE, and I genuinely mean that, is that if you animate characters interacting you can export them at the same time as separate image sequences. before I would render the whole scene as a png sequence, but having the characters as separate sequences from the same scene means I can reposition in AE if needed, a HUGE bonus, and this alone, for me, is brilliant.

Re export times, not using the plugin, it only takes a few seconds (less than 30) to export this sequence - with the plugin it takes just under an hour - which, to be honest, is fine, however, I would have thought that as there are 2 characters, it may only take a few minutes, as, its really rendering out 2 character image sequences, so, I'm not sure why its taking so long with the plugin, its maybe a bug, or, maybe something wrong with my set-up?

However, to import the project into AE only takes a couple of seconds, which is great.

To be honest, the only real issues I've found so far, and I'm sure your tech team will be able to fix these are:

1: The sliding of the character - really weird, I'm not sure why its doing that
2: The render time - I would have thought it would only take a couple of minutes (I don't mind waiting whatever it takes to be honest, I just know some people may moan about this)
3: The project when imported into AE is a little squashed (easy to stretch out though).

I'm more than happy to share the project - the animation itself isn't great, so don't judge me on this - its only something to test the plugin out on at the moment.

I'm away from my work machine at the moment, but I will share the project in a couple of hours Smile 

In short though, the plugin does work, and thats the main thing (and why you have a beta group to iron out all the little gremlins) Smile 

Cheers,
Chris BigGrin
cnmeyer1980
cnmeyer1980
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Hi there,

As promised, please see below link to download the test project.

I'm working on a little sequence with a new character that I will export to AE and do some effects on next week Smile 

KanoEder
KanoEder
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thank you Chris, your suggestion already pass to our developer team to discussion, we will try to figure out your issue and fix then provide a version for you.
cnmeyer1980
cnmeyer1980
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

my pleasure Smile

I'm going to work on a proper sequence (with different/better characters next week) - and I will keep you all updated throughout the week.

have a lovely weekend all,
Chris

Reading This Topic