Profile Picture

File type for characters

Posted By steve_567099 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
steve_567099
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi
I'm not an animator, I produce videos for my training and was really impressed with the Motion 2D and Face 3D tracker.
I had a specific look I wanted for my characters so employed someone to produce them for me. He assured me he could produce good quality characters which I would then be able to animate via Face 3D Tracker so seemed ideal to me.
He's now sent me files which are ai, jpg, png and psd but I cannot import them to CTA4 in order to start working wth them. They are greyed out when I try to do so indicating they are not the right file types.
Have I simply got someone who doesn't know what they're doing or am I doing something incorrectly?
Thanks in advance for your help.\
Steve
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Steve

Those file types can be used to create characters in Cartoon Animator 4, however it will depend on the version you have. To use PSD or AI you will need the Pipeline version but PNG and JPG can be used directly in Cartoon Animator 4. Please let me know which version you have and I'll point you to some suitable tutorials. Do also let us know if you wish to create full bodied characters or just talking heads.

And finally, please can I ask you don't  post the same question multiple times. Just post once and then wait for a reply. Thanks.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

steve_567099
steve_567099
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)Senior Member (339 reputation)

Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply, I've got pipeline version. From what you're saying I'm guessing there's still work to do once they're imported. I want to create full bodied characters which I can use in the same way as this tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuQGrPhUEPQ&t=154s

Sorry if I posted it more than once, I did send what I thought was a direct message to someone on the forum who seemed to be talking about something similar.

Cheers

Steve
steve_567099
steve_567099
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi Peter
I've been exploring the Reallusion products and I think I'm going about this the wrong way.
I was initially attracted by the Tumba tutorial which appealed because of how easy it is to create really effective animations with no animation experience. That's the most important thing to me, the simplicity of choosing my character and then using the Motion 2d/Face 3d process to record the clips I need. I'll then export them to iMovie to include in the video.
The animated characters will present examples in my sales training videos so I'm now wondering whether it would actually be simpler to purchase characters from the marketplace. I came across this pack for example
https://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/ccdproduct.html?contentid=ACR300CIENU011720181211001
but I can't work out if they are compatible with motion 2d/Face 3d.
I've also looked at CrazyTalk 8 as I could easily use just head and shoulders but I can't see anything which shows I can use it in the same way.
So, rather than trying to work out how I use the characters created, could you help me pick the best solution from your products please. I'm pretty sure I can find everything I need in your portfolio.
Thanks
Steve

Peter (RL)
This post has been flagged as an answer
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Steve

Thanks for explaining more about your requirements.

If you have the Pipeline version then you can use the PSD Templates to create your characters and then send them to Cartoon Animator 4. Please see the basic tutorial below for help with this.

https://youtu.be/AIQ8ArWQiYc

If you want animated full bodied characters then you will need Cartoon Animator 4. However if you only want a talking head (with shoulders) then CrazyTalk 8 will be an easier and quicker to learn option. With CrazyTalk 8 you are not using sprite based characters, but instead you create a 2D or 3D talking character using a single photo or drawing. Note: CrazyTalk 8 does not support facial motion capture but does feature auto-motion and/or Face Puppet to create facial animation.

Regarding buying characters packs from the Marketplace, this will certainly be the best option if you are new to character creation or image editors in general. The character pack you linked to can be used with facial mocap so they will be ready to go from the outset.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

steve_567099
steve_567099
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi Peter
Thank you so much for your help, that's brilliant!
All the best
Steve
steve_567099
steve_567099
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi Peter
I've done some more work on this now and checked the tutorial you gave me which lead me to some others as well.
I feel I could create a g3 360 character by importing the right file and adding the bone structure.
However, I'm not capable of creating the actual character.
I purchased some 3d characters from the store https://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/ccdproduct.html?contentid=ACR300CIENU000020171106001
and they're ok but the look I'd really like to get is similar to 'Red' that comes with CTA4.
I need some businessmen and businesswomen for some training videos I'm producing hence the desire for the higher quality.
I've had some live chats with the store support but not found what I'm looking for, so I wondered if you knew of places/people I could either get the completed characters or download files that I could then import to CTA4 and create the bone structure for?
I know you have a marketplace but I haven't managed to find it there either.
Thanks
Steve

Reading This Topic