IRay Render with 1080ti

Posted By shadybearbklyn 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
3DChick
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 days ago
@kungphu--Thanks! 
:-D

Room101Studios
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
So....

PopcornFX doesn't work with iRay or with RTX cards and they're upgrading the default render engine to be superior to the PBR plugin they have for sale?

Man, I just bought both of these, under the pretense that both worked together and I was getting the superior render engine to maximize my render box speed.

I'm kinda pissed. Especially since scale doesn't seem to work in Character Creator, which I just bought pipeline for.
Amper Sand
Amper Sand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Room101Studios (5/15/2020)
Especially since scale doesn't seem to work in Character Creator, which I just bought pipeline for.

In the Body/Full Body there's the "Character Scale" slider, is not this the setting you need?

Edited
4 Years Ago by ampertox
Room101Studios
Room101Studios
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)

ampertox (5/15/2020)
Room101Studios (5/15/2020)
Especially since scale doesn't seem to work in Character Creator, which I just bought pipeline for.

In the Body/Full Body there's the "Character Scale" slider, is not this the setting you need?

Yeah, it's everything I need. The problem is, when I export an avatar with it to make a morph, it increases the height of the avatar, when it should be decreasing it and vice versa.

Cinevision
Cinevision
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
nelm2010 (4/16/2020)
So I went looking for iClone as an alternative to Iray in Daz, because I finally lost patience with it (single 1070 gtx, here), even for many stills. I've been slowly learning how to do lighting and settings to get pretty darn close, I think--particularly with the DH skin shader. Here's an example: That's 1800 frames, which would take weeks in Iray on my rig, if my laptop didn't just burn up trying. 

Here's a comparison of the same character--the one on the left is in iClone, the one on the right in Daz Iray. Background's not the same, and I couldn't get the post quite the same, and I've added more wrinkles to the iClone version but image quality is very, very close.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6ed8ac54-43ba-446e-b40c-f67e.jpg

I replaced my default project with a project with my lights and settings so I wouldn't have to set it all up every time. Everything is maxed out, except shadow resolution, which I turn up to at least 2048, maybe more, if it's close ups on faces for final render. Make sure GI is on for final render, too, and this should load with my tone mapping settings. Things will slow down while you're animating using this (ok not by Iray standards, but by normal iClone standards), so I put the viewport on Quick Mode, while animating. I don't use Super Sampling usually, because I can't see anything different, and it will slow things waaaay down. Again, not by Iray standards, but once you get used to the normal render, it feels crazy slow.

I attached my blank starter project to play with. Everything in it is standard iClone lighting, etc., just set up the way I like it, if you want to try it. I just keep tweaking until I get something I like. I think that's ok to do...

Hope that answered some of your questions.

Wow this is impressive. Can I ask did you render the video and first still with Iclone native renderer or with Iray/Iclone?
Thank you so much :">
3DChick
3DChick
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

@Cinevision,
Thank you!! And that's all using the native renderer and I only have a 1070. No Iray. 
Nicole

4 Years Ago by nelm2010
Cinevision
Cinevision
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Wow this is awesome. I gave up on Iray since the rendering is so slow and buggy. I'm learning to use Iclone native renderer but it seems a bit flat no matter how I set up the lights, how do you make the nice shadow on his face and the rim light? It looks super!!! I use directional light + spot light to light up the face and another spot light for back lighting but the spot lights didn't make big different even though I increase the intensity and other parametters a lot Sad(
Michelle.
3DChick
3DChick
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi there Cinevision--sorry I missed this. I've been off the forums for a while. I don't use directional lights except in large outdoor scenes. Only spots, emissives, and points. In your scenes where it seems like you can't get it bright enough, you might have to mess with Decay and Inverse Squared Decay, trying unclicking and or clicking to see how that effects things. "Light shapes" also make a big difference, sometimes making you need higher intensity and sometimes less. The other thing I do especially for faces, is play with the shadow resolution--for lights on close up faces, like a key light, I sometimes go as high as 4096 for rendering. I tend to have spots (as key lights) and/or emissives for every major character in a scene, which can get resource-intensive, although never as bad as with Iray. In the video below, he's got a key, a backlight, and an eyelight, plus an emissive just for him, for the "red alert" effect, that had to be keyed to get the on/off look. And I used a point light keyed the same for the wall. 

Lastly, be sure your GI anchor is near the focus character's chest/face. That will drastically change your lighting--especially bounce and emissives, so set that up early, because if you don't you might end up with everything suddenly 60 times brighter than you thought. I get it in place early, then link it, if the character is going to move around. And my voxels are set as high as I can get them.

Hope that helps and sorry for the delay in responding.
:-)
Nicole

Reading This Topic