IRay Render with 1080ti

Posted By shadybearbklyn 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
shadybearbklyn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I was wondering if the IRay Render plug-in will work with a single 1080ti card. The website states that you need two cards for it to work properly. Also, what are your thoughts about rendering with IRay. Is the difference substantial?
wires
wires
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Iray will work with a single 1080 Ti, but depending on the scene length and the content it can take up to several days to render out a few minutes of animation.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

shadybearbklyn
shadybearbklyn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Hi Gerry,
How does that compare to rendering without IRay? Also, how does it compare with regular IClone rendering in regards to quality and realism?
3DChick
3DChick
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

So I went looking for iClone as an alternative to Iray in Daz, because I finally lost patience with it (single 1070 gtx, here), even for many stills. I've been slowly learning how to do lighting and settings to get pretty darn close, I think--particularly with the DH skin shader. Here's an example: That's 1800 frames, which would take weeks in Iray on my rig, if my laptop didn't just burn up trying. 

Here's a comparison of the same character--the one on the left is in iClone, the one on the right in Daz Iray. Background's not the same, and I couldn't get the post quite the same, and I've added more wrinkles to the iClone version but image quality is very, very close.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6ed8ac54-43ba-446e-b40c-f67e.jpg

I replaced my default project with a project with my lights and settings so I wouldn't have to set it all up every time. Everything is maxed out, except shadow resolution, which I turn up to at least 2048, maybe more, if it's close ups on faces for final render. Make sure GI is on for final render, too, and this should load with my tone mapping settings. Things will slow down while you're animating using this (ok not by Iray standards, but by normal iClone standards), so I put the viewport on Quick Mode, while animating. I don't use Super Sampling usually, because I can't see anything different, and it will slow things waaaay down. Again, not by Iray standards, but once you get used to the normal render, it feels crazy slow.

I attached my blank starter project to play with. Everything in it is standard iClone lighting, etc., just set up the way I like it, if you want to try it. I just keep tweaking until I get something I like. I think that's ok to do...

Hope that answered some of your questions.

MyDefProject.zip (44 views, 2.00 MB)
shadybearbklyn
shadybearbklyn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

That answered a lot of questions. I was debating buying IRay render while it’s on sale, but if the amount of time it takes doesn’t show significant differences it doesn’t seem worth it. Assuming I can get it to work with a single card. Thanks for the template. I’m new to this so every bit of direction helps immensely.
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 35 minutes ago
Another consideration is that further improvements in the native renderer have been announced. On the other hand, the Iray renderer is as it is and new developments such as the support of RTX cards to make them much faster have not been planned, as far as I know.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

3DChick
3DChick
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Seriously that video took approximately 8 minutes to render. It's insanely faster than either Iray or 3delight (assuming you've ever used that).

And, Animagic is right, with the improvements they've posted for this year and next, it's going to beat Iray hands down. 

Depending on what you want to do, there is tweaking involved. I was used to a higher definition mesh in Daz, and it took a long while to figure out how to get those effects in iClone (mostly its in the normal maps). But the plugin I'd for sure buy if it's on sale too, is Headshot. Not so much for Headshot itself (although people are doing really cool things with that) but you get like a thousand morphs with it. 3dexchange at least pro, CC3 pipeline so you can easily bring in Daz characters/clothing and other items... I don't know what you have already, but those are the ones I ended buying. (I started with reallusion last year this month. Strictly Daz before that).
Glad it was helpful. 😁

shadybearbklyn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I love Headshot. I ended up making all new characters for the project I’m using when it was released in November. There is no comparison to the ones I made using Crazy Talk and CC3. I have 3DXchange, Live Face, and Pipeline. I thinking about getting the lighting pack and Curve Editor. Any experience with either of those?
3DChick
3DChick
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

None with the lighting pack. I was under the impression it was mostly for Iray, but I could be wrong.

I bought the curve editor with the sale but haven't tried much yet. It's a bit more intimidating to me than regular iClone/CC3, and I've only in the last couple weeks been able to play in iClone again. It looks amazing though, and hope to get to work with it soon. 

kungphu
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

I've got a single card, RTX Titan. Iray in Days still takes forever to render. Iclone native render keeps getting better and better. And now that the Unreal livelink plugin is free and Unreal is free there is a cheap and free option for a raytracing render if you want to go down that route. A bit complicated, but at least that option is there at no cost. Great lgithing by the way. Hell, better than great TBH. Fantastic actually!

My "NEWEST" LatestSmile  Movie Made With Amaaaazing iClone

—> High Noon”ish” in Narrow Valley<—

Reading This Topic