Profile Picture

CHALLENGE: Loft Scene - let Jade walk down stairs...

Posted By toystorylab 4 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
Problem.png
toystorylab
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
According to this thread:
https://forum.reallusion.com/439194/Animating-walking-down-the-stairs
I tried doing this and it is damned tricky...

Here is my result:

I can imagine only very few, if any, will accept the challenge,
but the main goal of this challenge is to find out what's the easiest/best way
to do a walk down stairs whithout having the possibility to adjust stairs to motion.
And it's definitely a good practice, could be useful in the future. BigGrin

As the title says, let Jade (Avatar template - Avatar - 0.Jade) walk down the stairs
of the "Loft Scene" (Project Template - 2.GI - 2.Loft Scene)...

Conditions
- Use Jade
- No scaling of the stairs/Loft Scene
- After Challenge is over, reveal your way how you did it...

If there are more than 3 people joining we could let the community vote who did the best job.
And I will think about a reward Wink
Or even better, @ RL any chance you could fork out a little freebie to your wonderful community?
Peter (RL)?
To give everybody the same chance, here is the motion I used: see attachment...

By the way, anybody who can make the descending motions @ Mixamo usable?
They are useless, as there is kinda footcontact implemented...

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

Attachments
Walk_Down_Stairs.zip (120 views, 104.00 KB)
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 53 minutes ago
This might help.
https://manual.reallusion.com/iClone_7/ENU/Content/iClone_7/Pro_7.4/09_Animation_Timeline_Editing/Modifying_and_Fixing_Motions.htm?Highlight=modify
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I am not sure if I will participate, but for those who will, I quickly made this stairs terrain for Loft Scene to illuminate that annoying step.
In addition, I'd say not to use a walk cycle - do a manual cycle animation and try using reach effectors to prevent feet sleeping.

Edited
4 Years Ago by 4u2ges
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi ToyStoryLab!

This is a great idea to shed some light on the subject I also had huge problems solving.

I hope many will try to participate and show us the best and easiest way to actually do this, and it would be very helpful to everyone for future projects and also to learn and share knowledge:-)

WIN 10, COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 500H, MSI GAMING PRO CARBON X470 RGB, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1650 GAMING X - 4GB GDDR5 RAM GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB RAM, SSD M.2 Corsair Force Series MP510 480 GB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5 HDD 4 TB.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

I thought I would see what I can do on this challenge, as it is a big one that I have attempted to solve in the past using different methods that were never quite satisfactory.

So to adjust the stride length in the Modify panel, use the exaggeration sliders. Move them both the same amount to keep upper body and lower body in sync. It effects the entire motion, including the distance traveled, so it will be tricky. Wink I have only just had a look at it, so no tutorial yet.

But you can actually the stairs and scale them a little on the Y axis (green) to do some additional fine tuning. You may need to reposition them a little if you scale them.
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)

Thanks again Rampa for joining in on the discussion and challenge.

I will be excited to see what ideas and results you come up with:-) I really hope you accept the challenge, I am eager to learn from the masters and become a master my self one day!?Cool

I was hoping for - No scaling of the stairs/Loft Scene

Also, I am not sure what you meant by "But you can actually the stairs"w00tw00t

Rampa (3/31/2020)
I thought I would see what I can do on this challenge, as it is a big one that I have attempted to solve in the past using different methods that were never quite satisfactory.

So to adjust the stride length in the Modify panel, use the exaggeration sliders. Move them both the same amount to keep upper body and lower body in sync. It effects the entire motion, including the distance traveled, so it will be tricky. Wink I have only just had a look at it, so no tutorial yet.

But you can actually the stairs and scale them a little on the Y axis (green) to do some additional fine tuning. You may need to reposition them a little if you scale them.

WIN 10, COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 500H, MSI GAMING PRO CARBON X470 RGB, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1650 GAMING X - 4GB GDDR5 RAM GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB RAM, SSD M.2 Corsair Force Series MP510 480 GB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5 HDD 4 TB.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

@Rampa

By the way like ToyStoryLab said: By the way, anybody who can make the descending and ascending motions @ Mixamo usable?
They are useless, as there is kinda footcontact implemented

Is this even possible, then it would be a good fast and easy solution maybe also?

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

AlbinosGambit (3/31/2020)
@Rampa

By the way like ToyStoryLab said: By the way, anybody who can make the descending and ascending motions @ Mixamo usable?

Is this even possible, then it would be a good fast and easy solution maybe also?

Use the clip that ToyStoryLab uploaded a few posts earlier. The Mixamo ones are indeed no good. I looked them up, and it turns out Adobe almost removed them because they were broken. It would be extremely difficult to fix them.
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

The Zip.file you included, thank you for this, but how did you actually make this?w00tCool

toystorylab (3/31/2020)
According to this thread:
https://forum.reallusion.com/439194/Animating-walking-down-the-stairs
I tried doing this and it is damned tricky...

Here is my result:

I can imagine only very few, if any, will accept the challenge,
but the main goal of this challenge is to find out what's the easiest/best way
to do a walk down stairs whithout having the possibility to adjust stairs to motion.
And it's definitely a good practice, could be useful in the future. BigGrin

As the title says, let Jade (Avatar template - Avatar - 0.Jade) walk down the stairs
of the "Loft Scene" (Project Template - 2.GI - 2.Loft Scene)...

Conditions
- Use Jade
- No scaling of the stairs/Loft Scene
- After Challenge is over, reveal your way how you did it...

If there are more than 3 people joining we could let the community vote who did the best job.
And I will think about a reward Wink
Or even better, @ RL any chance you could fork out a little freebie to your wonderful community?
Peter (RL)?
To give everybody the same chance, here is the motion I used: see attachment...

By the way, anybody who can make the descending motions @ Mixamo usable?
They are useless, as there is kinda footcontact implemented...

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Yes, I saw the zip file included, but I am not sure how to replicate the process without instructionsw00t

I just tried using mixamo motions for descending the stairs (following advice from animagic) and Zane as the character.  Used the Ybot descending stairs motion

I get some weird results. Zane starts the walking down cycle, but his feet slide backward, but also the longer the mixamo animation plays, the further back he slips and deeper his legs get down to the floor, haha. Very funny stuff this, I have no idea what's happening here. Hmmm.

Here is a photo of the start walking descending the stairs from the loft scene:

27% of original size (was 1920x1200) - Click to enlargehttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7c079865-5396-4bbe-be30-5bfa.png

Here is the photo at the end of the mixamo motion applied to Zane

27% of original size (was 1920x1200) - Click to enlargehttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d5f66cb5-9ba8-4a77-927a-decf.png

Rampa (3/31/2020)
AlbinosGambit (3/31/2020)
@Rampa

Use the clip that ToyStoryLab uploaded a few posts earlier. The Mixamo ones are indeed no good. I looked them up, and it turns out Adobe almost removed them because they were broken. It would be extremely difficult to fix them.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)

Reading This Topic