Profile Picture

CHALLENGE: Loft Scene - let Jade walk down stairs...

Posted By toystorylab 4 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.

Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 hours ago
The Maya preset WILL map (and seemingly correctly) -- the issue (as I see it, although I could be completely wrong) is we have no t-pose for it.

I think I might be able to first export such a post into Anima, and then export and use that (save it out in 3DX) but if you've already done this it would save me a lot of work (plus if that's not the approach I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole).  So even a very quick video on exactly the steps would save me a ton of time.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi Mike.

Thank the Viking gods (I am from Norway, so better not upset the gods :-) ) for people like you! I am so happy to get such good pieces of advice to help me structure the path moving on into the world of animations, I appreciate you taking the time!

When you talked about just animating the parts you need for your shots it really hit me like a bolt of lightning, I didn't realize this at all. I was thinking the entire story would be one full, flawless, animation. Not realistic at all, LOL!

So BIG THANX to you!

Kelleytoons (4/2/2020)
On that same subject (of going slowly) one thing to learn in animation is that if you don't know how to do something, fake it.

By that I mean there are a LOT of times it's far better to not do something even if at your heart you feel it's necessary.  Let's take a relatively simple example: you want to have your character drink out of a glass that perhaps has some poison in it.  It's a very dramatic necessity to show, and yet to show a character pick up such a glass, tilt it back and have the liquid move in the glass as he drinks is beyond a LOT of folks' pay grades (I know *I* wouldn't try it).

No problem -- you put the camera on a close up on the glass as the character's hand reaches it.  You *might* even show his hand wrapped around it and lifting it out of the shot.  You hear the sound of a drink and then the glass is replaced, empty, on the counter.  Lots of variations here -- you could cut to the character as they finish the drink (so we see the drink leaving the character's mouth with an empty glass).  You could show the reaction shot of the person who is poisoning them.  You could... I think you get  the idea.  Lots of ways to "fake" the essence without actually robbing your audience of anything (indeed, a good case could be made it's far better to do it in those ways than just a straightforward drinking scene).

Same could be done from the walking down the stairs -- no real reason to show the walk but even if you wanted to you could simply have a half person close-up so you see the upper body but no legs and watch the person go up and down as they go down the stairs.  An easy fake.

So many things in animation that are really faked are done that way in live action films, not so much because they can't show those things as they just don't need to show those things.  A closeup shot is far more effective most of the time anyway.

So -- yes, by all means learn all you can and learn all you can do but NEVER let it stop you from telling your story (which most of the time doesn't need all those techniques anyway).

WIN 10, COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 500H, MSI GAMING PRO CARBON X470 RGB, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1650 GAMING X - 4GB GDDR5 RAM GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB RAM, SSD M.2 Corsair Force Series MP510 480 GB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5 HDD 4 TB.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
You forgot yo mention the most interesting part of it, how did you do it?

videodv (4/2/2020)
I did this some time ago and was my second try at hand animating walking down stairs, its not a final version but it gave me the route on how to do this.

Chris

WIN 10, COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 500H, MSI GAMING PRO CARBON X470 RGB, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1650 GAMING X - 4GB GDDR5 RAM GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB RAM, SSD M.2 Corsair Force Series MP510 480 GB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5 HDD 4 TB.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 16 minutes ago
Hi Mike,

See if you have a profile for Maya HumanIK. Click on load and then find the correct containing folder. The profiles always load in a T-pose. I found one here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Reallusion\iClone 3DXchange 7\3DX template\TPose

Also check here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Reallusion\iClone 3DXchange 7\3DX template\AutoConvertNonStd

If you do not have one, download the attached zip. Unzip it and find it with the Load button.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

That was the one I tried, Rampa, and it was the one that screwed things up (so I was hoping you had something different).

I can create a video showing the issue, but I was hoping for the opposite (you showing me a video of how it *should* be done).  But I'm not doing anything especially tricky and I kind of do know what I'm doing.  However, rather than hijack this thread even a bit, let me make a video showing the problem and I'll post it separately.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I'll tell you what -- rather than me thrash around some more, why don't YOU see what you can make of this (because I'm not getting any closer):

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Attachments
JadeStairs.zip (29 views, 517.00 KB)
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Sorry. I've been waiting for a big update to Anima 3.5.7. It just now is installing, so I can have a go at it.
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Rampa (4/2/2020)
... I could be wrong though.

No...No....
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

This looks helpful. It's not a perfect T-pose like we usually use, but much closer.
https://docs.axyz-design.com/article/export-anima-actors-in-a-t-pose/

I have generated some animation, now just need to do the T-pose thing. It is almost standard Maya/HumanIK, but differs by a couple bones.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Rampa
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Anima T-pose 3DXProfile for you guys. I have not straightened the fingers, just the main pose.

Attachments
Anima T_Pose.zip (27 views, 2.00 KB)

Reading This Topic