Profile Picture

CHALLENGE: Loft Scene - let Jade walk down stairs...

Posted By toystorylab 4 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Okay, far from perfect but I did adhere to all conditions (original loft, original Jade).  I also did it in five minutes.

Look -- the key is having the right tools.  If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.  This is a problem that requires more than a hammer.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I tried this using a dummy terrain but that didn't work well at all. So I accepted the challenge but didn't get a publishable result...Blush

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Here's an interesting one.

If you place your character at the top of the stairs and add a walk motion from the motion library, they will walk forward at that level. But if you add the walk in the Mixmoves tool, the character will walk down the stairs as if you used a Persona move command that had terrain snapping turned on. So there you go, an almost one-click solution, if you have relatively large stairs.

I know that the method I used with the ramp could be made much better with a custom walk loop animation, but that just adds additional complexity. Part of my thinking is that if I present a persona to use, it should just work for anyone, without needing to load new motions. So the main issue for me is finding an embedded content motion that has a short enough stride.
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Yes, you are right about that, having the right tools KelleyToons.

The video you made was almost perfect, you only had one slip with one of the feet right after the start. 5 minutes to make this? Wow....Last night I used 6 hours just to walk up and down 3 stairs, haha, but still very sketchy. I used a walking motion from iClone library and edit motion layer tool. I know, I am a total NOOB stillw00tWink. I am here to learn from the best! SmileBigGrin

I was going to ask, may you publish the method you used to make this work? But you used the Mocap Suit right? Or?

Kelleytoons (4/1/2020)
Okay, far from perfect but I did adhere to all conditions (original loft, original Jade).  I also did it in five minutes.

Look -- the key is having the right tools.  If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.  This is a problem that requires more than a hammer.

WIN 10, COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 500H, MSI GAMING PRO CARBON X470 RGB, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1650 GAMING X - 4GB GDDR5 RAM GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB RAM, SSD M.2 Corsair Force Series MP510 480 GB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5 HDD 4 TB.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
Edited
4 Years Ago by AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)

Hi, Rampa.

Thanks again for sharing your discoveries.

Adding the walk in Mixamo tool? What do you mean? So, using a walk motion from iClone, then importing it to a character in Mixamo, then re import the motion to iClone. Could you explain?

Rampa (4/1/2020)

If you place your character at the top of the stairs and add a walk motion from the motion library, they will walk forward at that level. But if you add the walk in the Mixmoves tool, the character will walk down the stairs as if you used a Persona move command that had terrain snapping turned on. So there you go, an almost one-click solution, if you have relatively large stairs.

I know that the method I used with the ramp could be made much better with a custom walk loop animation, but that just adds additional complexity. Part of my thinking is that if I present a persona to use, it should just work for anyone, without needing to load new motions. So the main issue for me is finding an embedded content motion that has a short enough stride.

WIN 10, COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 500H, MSI GAMING PRO CARBON X470 RGB, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1650 GAMING X - 4GB GDDR5 RAM GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB RAM, SSD M.2 Corsair Force Series MP510 480 GB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5 HDD 4 TB.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

AlbinosGambit (4/1/2020)
Hi, Rampa.

Adding the walk in Mixamo tool? What do you mean? So, using a walk motion from iClone, then importing it to a character in Mixamo, then re import the motion to iClone. Could you explain?

Rampa (4/1/2020)

Not Mixamo, Mixmoves. It's an iClone tool.
https://manual.reallusion.com/iClone_7/ENU/Content/iClone_7/Pro_7.4/08_Animation/MixMoves/Using_the_MixMoves_Panel.htm?Highlight=mixmoves
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Ahhhh!

Sorry, Mixmoves, I see.

So why does adding a regular walk motion into mixmoves make the character walk down the stairs? Does this work 100% Any tutorials on how to learn and do this? Because I have no clue!

Rampa (4/1/2020)
AlbinosGambit (4/1/2020)
Hi, Rampa.

Rampa (4/1/2020)

Not Mixamo, Mixmoves. It's an iClone tool.
https://manual.reallusion.com/iClone_7/ENU/Content/iClone_7/Pro_7.4/08_Animation/MixMoves/Using_the_MixMoves_Panel.htm?Highlight=mixmoves

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@Albin
Just how that tool works. I found that to be the case when I was playing with another idea that didn't work out that well.

One of the issues I had with terrain snapping and stairs was the sudden "snapping" to the next level. To mitigate that, I tried both disabling the snapping in my WMcWF persona, and creating "lumpy stairs". The idea being that the snapping would be smoother following a curved surface. That is method that seems to give the most stair-like rising of the motion from level to level. The lumps are especially important for ascending, not so critical for descending, but still helpful.

AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

So its just works? Like putting a regular walking motion from iClone to mixmove tool hocus pocus, nothing special to do?

You talk about "WMcWF persona", could you please be so kind as to explain what this means? Remember, we Noobs out here doesn't have a clue many times when you use such alien languagew00tSmile

Rampa (4/1/2020)
@Albin
Just how that tool works. I found that to be the case when I was playing with another idea that didn't work out that well.

One of the issues I had with terrain snapping and stairs was the sudden "snapping" to the next level. To mitigate that, I tried both disabling the snapping in my WMcWF persona, and creating "lumpy stairs". The idea being that the snapping would be smoother following a curved surface. That is method that seems to give the most stair-like rising of the motion from level to level. The lumps are especially important for ascending, not so critical for descending, but still helpful.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
It might be better to listen to Rampa, but the "tool" I used was Anima (which creates walk cycles exactly like walking down stairs).

So all I did was export the loft scene to Anima, draw a path down the stairs, and export Jade to Anima.  Finally I exported her walking down stairs to iClone and, honestly, it took more time to type this than to actually do it.

iClone should be able to do this -- we should be able to draw a path exactly like we can do in Anima, and characters ought to be able to follow them.  Anima itself is almost a necessity in terms of adding crowds to your scenes but, again, we shouldn't have to spend another $350 (or whatever the price of Anima now is -- I just updated to 4.0 for around $100) in order to do even those things.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic