Animating walking down the stairs?

Posted By AlbinosGambit 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Dear community.

I hope you could help me out with how to animate walking down the stairs?!
I am a total beginner and was recommended to start with beginner tutorials to do one project a time, for example, one about lighting, textures, camera angle, etc...
Rampa and Kai pointed me to a good Webinar tutorial that you can learn much from, one of them walking down the stairs...

Below is the link to the vide

But the problem is that the tutor doesn't finish the learning he just imports a premade walk and doesn't show us the rest of the steps.
At 19 minutes out in the video, he just imports a premade walk so I have no clue how to finish my walk down the stairs...

If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated:-)

I only hear good praise about the large community.

Thanks for your time.

WIN 10, COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 500H, MSI GAMING PRO CARBON X470 RGB, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1650 GAMING X - 4GB GDDR5 RAM GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB RAM, SSD M.2 Corsair Force Series MP510 480 GB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5 HDD 4 TB.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 42 minutes ago
The answer to your question on how to animate a walk downstairs will be helpful to many, including me...Unsure

I actually bought some stair descend and ascend animations but they don't work well...Crying

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)

Thanks for the answer.

Exactly, I think several people would have the same issues of animating ascending and descending down the stairs. So I hope some of the Reallusion Creators can contribute and maybe make a REALLY good new tutorial on how to do it at and to make it look real.

Maybe some of the long time members could give some tips as well?

What animations did you buy? If they didn't work well, is there no refund?

I hope we could solve these issues together, thanks for replying to the subject:-)

WIN 10, COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 500H, MSI GAMING PRO CARBON X470 RGB, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1650 GAMING X - 4GB GDDR5 RAM GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB RAM, SSD M.2 Corsair Force Series MP510 480 GB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5 HDD 4 TB.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 9 minutes ago
Albin - Please don't post the same question more than once. You have another post with the same question below. Just post once and wait for a reply.

https://forum.reallusion.com/439186/Animating-walking-down-the-stairs

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I am sorry about that, I didn't intend to do so, I couldn't see the post so I posted again, some error from my end.

Peter (RL) (3/30/2020)
Albin - Please don't post the same question more than once. You have another post with the same question below. Just post once and wait for a reply.

https://forum.reallusion.com/439186/Animating-walking-down-the-stairs

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Peter, are you working for RL? Maybe you could suggest making a new updated and complete tutorial on my subject in question? I think it would be helpful to a lot of people out there. How to ascend and descend the stair. Thanks

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Yeah, stairs, tricky!

Ascending was easier than descending because the lack of descending motions.
I used "ascending stairs" from Mixamo to go up.
Applied it once and then checked my stairs, scaled them a bit till i had those first two steps fitting
Then applied the motion again and used "Align"--> root
Kept going (apply+align) till i reached the height of the upper stairs.
Then i checked my stairs again and finetuned scale height...
The whole process is quite tricky cause the gizmo of character and stairs is way beyond your view.
So use "Mini Viewport" and preview to manage these steps...

Descending is a PITA. I found no fitting short descending motion.
I had one descending in my custom library, but had to customize it to loop...
Same process as ascending...

After you finished your way up or down, change camera and use a duplicate avatar,
because your root now is totally fucked up.
Use Camera Switch, hide first character now...
Or simply start a new project starting from that point.

If you can't scale stairs (part of already existing environment), it will be a way bigger PITA BigGrin

Used motions --> see attachment...

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

Attachments
Stairs.zip (71 views, 241.00 KB)
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Hi Toystorylab!

Thanks for devoting some time to this subject and a solution on how you did this, I do really appreciate your time! But for me like a total noob, this is far too advanced to know how to replicate, that's, why I was hoping someone at RL, would make a newly updated tutorial step by step from a-z, slooooowly so we all could benefit from this and learn. Maybe you could give this a try to teach us and help put the community?! It seems like you have a deep enough understanding to make this happen? I know this would help a lot of people out there, I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem?! Many future projects will for certain involve people who want to animate ascending and descending some stairs... I searched YouTube and RL does not have any decent tutorials on this subject and I encourage them to get involved and help everyone out:-) I hope they in fact read this post, I have tried commenting on YouTube but to no avail, it seems like no comments or suggestions are answered there at all, unfortunately.

The video you linked to, is very good in my eyes! The Webinar I watched from RL, seemed like a walk from an unhuman horror movie, very sketchy walk. The link to that is here:

Maybe you could try to explain the recipe in a more noob friendly way? or show us with a video perhaps? To be honest I didn't understand everything, sorry I am just too new at this:-)

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 42 minutes ago
@AlbinosGambit: the motion I bought is this one: https://marketplace.reallusion.com/climb-stairs-02. I also bought the stairs descend motion: https://marketplace.reallusion.com/stairs-descend.

I bought those quite a while ago from the Reallusion Market Place. They were cheap, so it's OK.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Sounds great, but do they work and are they any good?

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check them out:-)

animagic (3/30/2020)
@AlbinosGambit: the motion I bought is this one: https://marketplace.reallusion.com/climb-stairs-02. I also bought the stairs descend motion: https://marketplace.reallusion.com/stairs-descend.

I bought those quite a while ago from the Reallusion Market Place. They were cheap, so it's OK.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)

Reading This Topic