Animating walking down the stairs?

Posted By AlbinosGambit 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 hours ago
Sorry. That was me thinking faster than I type. I did mean scaling, but hopefully we do not need to do that at all.

Lets try and consolidate to the challenge thread for further discussion, as I think it will be seen by more people.
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi again.

I just tried following your example but just with the descending and Zane as the character. 

1 question, why do I actually have to download the Mixamo Character and not only the motion? and Just apply the motion directly to Zane?

I still get some weird results. Zane starts the walking down cycle, but his feet slide backward, but also the longer the mixamo animation plays, the further back he slips and deeper his legs get down to the floor, haha. Very funny stuff this, I have no idea what's happening here. Hmmm.

Here is a photo of the start walking descending the stairs from the loft scene:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7c079865-5396-4bbe-be30-5bfa.png

Here is the photo at the end of the mixamo motion applied to Zane

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d5f66cb5-9ba8-4a77-927a-decf.png

animagic (3/31/2020)
What I do is this:

1. Download the basic Mixamo character in T-pose: X bot for woman and Y bot for man. (So this depends on what your target character will be (man or woman). This may not be necessary to have both, but that is what I do. )
I chose X-bot as an example. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7c864421-02ef-427b-bf8b-d5bb.jpg

2. Import into 3DXchange. Accept the default settings. The Mixamo character will be recognized automatically.

3. Click Yes and also click Yes at the next prompt:

4. You will now have the X-bot in 3DXchange. You will use it as target for the MIxamo motions you will import.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/409b9293-8b23-4469-89f4-c4c2.jpg

5. In Mixamo apply the Ascending Stairs motion to the character you just exported (X-bot in my case).

6. Download the motion only as FBX; make sure Without Skin is selected.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0599a6bf-456c-43a4-814f-69d0.jpg

7. Back in 3DXchange you will now import the just downloaded motion, as follows:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/17c75e0e-6333-46c0-8d00-de53.jpg

Select Import, which will open the file browser, where you can select the exported motion (Ascending Stairs in this case). At the prompt select the default settings.

NOTE: It is best to export at 30 fps from Mixamo and import at 12 fps for most motions.

8. The motion will be added to the Motion Library:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c011836a-1665-49e7-a26b-375a.jpg

9. With the motion selected, click Add to Perform. The motion will be added to the Perform Editor list.

10. Now the delete the T-pose motions from the Motion Library, as we are only interested in the Ascending Stairs motion.

11. You can repeat Steps 6 through 9 to add more motions to the Perform list.

12 When done, select File => Export (Ctrl+E). You will get a dialog:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/420e29ef-dbc4-4ec7-a5f5-2e8f.jpg

Make sure nothing is selected under Geometry Settings.
Under Animation Settings, the motion(s) to be exported will be listed. You can keep the default file destination or choose your own. Then click OK. 

WIN 10, COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 500H, MSI GAMING PRO CARBON X470 RGB, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1650 GAMING X - 4GB GDDR5 RAM GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB RAM, SSD M.2 Corsair Force Series MP510 480 GB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5 HDD 4 TB.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)Veteran Member (886 reputation)

No worries Rampa.

Maybe its a good idea to discuss further inside ToyStoryLab´s Challenge Thread indeed, but still I am hoping for some help in the meantime here or do you think I will get the help need from the Challenge Thread?

Rampa (3/31/2020)
Sorry. That was me thinking faster than I type. I did mean scaling, but hopefully we do not need to do that at all.

Lets try and consolidate to the challenge thread for further discussion, as I think it will be seen by more people.

WIN 10, COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 500H, MSI GAMING PRO CARBON X470 RGB, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1650 GAMING X - 4GB GDDR5 RAM GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB RAM, SSD M.2 Corsair Force Series MP510 480 GB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5 HDD 4 TB.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
That's where I was planning to post anything I came up with. Saves having to post it twice. Smile
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I see, no problem:-) Makes sense

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Hi again.

I now downloaded the ascend motion -fbx from mixamo and tested it out and it works pretty good with very decent results I have to say.

You say that: "copy the clip, paste it, and right-click select Align Root for the copy. That way, the character will continue to move up" What does Align --- Root actually do and how does this work? How did you know how to do this? I would really like to know how things actually work and always ask why why whySmile A good reason for this that way I know the reason behind what makes it actually work. It's always good to know why, not just with Animation software but for anything in life like math and chess, you have to explain why 2+2=4 and why your opponent is actually mated in a given positionWink

animagic (3/31/2020)
I did come across stair ascending and descending problems. What I have done in past is not to show the feet, so you work with the camera to hide imperfections. The camera is really your friend if things are not perfect, as they often are.

In my example, I imported the Ascend motion. I then used it in iClone and it worked pretty good. It is a short motion and what you need to do is copy the clip, paste it, and right-click select Align Root for the copy. That way, the character will continue to move up. Repeat this until you have enough to move up the stairs. To make the movement fit with the stairs I adjusted the height of the stairs as that is easier than adjusting the motion (I didn't try that).

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)

Reading This Topic