Animating walking down the stairs?

Posted By AlbinosGambit 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Dear community.

I hope you could help me out with how to animate walking down the stairs?!
I am a total beginner and was recommended to start with beginner tutorials to do one project a time, for example, one about lighting, textures, camera angle, etc...
Rampa and Kai pointed me to a good Webinar tutorial that you can learn much from, one of them walking down the stairs...

Below is the link to the vide

But the problem is that the tutor doesn't finish the learning he just imports a premade walk and doesn't show us the rest of the steps.
At 19 minutes out in the video, he just imports a premade walk so I have no clue how to finish my walk down the stairs...

If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated:-)

I only hear good praise about the large community.

Thanks for your time.

WIN 10, COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 500H, MSI GAMING PRO CARBON X470 RGB, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1650 GAMING X - 4GB GDDR5 RAM GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB RAM, SSD M.2 Corsair Force Series MP510 480 GB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5 HDD 4 TB.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
Edited
4 Years Ago by AlbinosGambit
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Hi AG,
Without focusing too much on the tutorial I'll give you a couple of tips from my not expert level experience.  Note, Im less interested in learning how to animate than I am in figuring out how to make a scene work for a project.

I would say that say there are two easy ways to get a character walking (there are more ways but these are simple ones).
1. Some characters have AML scripts that allow for point and click perform/move commands.  The G5 chuck character has this.  Load chuck.  Right click on chuck and select move-> walk forward and then click on the space you want chuck to walk to.  After you have done this you can replace the chuck with any other character by just drag and drop onto chuck.
2. Have the character follow a path and then use the motion puppet to create a walk animation.  

To get a character to walk up stairs the easiest way is convert the stairs into a terrain and then just walk the character up or down the stairs using a method above.   If the stairs are a complex model just use simple  cube props to simulate the steps.  Attach them together and hide the prop or make it a dummy.  Now convert to terrain.

Its not a perfect method but you can use camerawork and cuts to hide the flaws and better convey the action/story.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f3b2681b-c26c-41f3-9683-222c.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Albin - Please don't post the same question more than once. You have another post with the same question below. Just post once and wait for a reply.

https://forum.reallusion.com/439194/Animating-walking-down-the-stairs

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)

Hi!

Thank you very much for the suggestion, I will definitively try out your solution:-) Is this the way you use whenever you animate going up and down the stairs?

Solution 1 would be the best and easiest way, too bad it doesn't work on every character.
Solution 2 seems more complicated and I am not sure what to do with it, because I don't understand... I am a noob he he:-)

What about walking down the stair? You use the same methods?

Thanks for trying to help out, I really appreciate the community!

It would be much easier if we had a good tutorial showing this in practice, maybe you could be so kind as to make it?!

thebiz.movies (3/29/2020)
Hi AG,
Without focusing too much on the tutorial I'll give you a couple of tips from my not expert level experience.  Note, Im less interested in learning how to animate than I am in figuring out how to make a scene work for a project.

I would say that say there are two easy ways to get a character walking (there are more ways but these are simple ones).
1. Some characters have AML scripts that allow for point and click perform/move commands.  The G5 chuck character has this.  Load chuck.  Right click on chuck and select move-> walk forward and then click on the space you want chuck to walk to.  After you have done this you can replace the chuck with any other character by just drag and drop onto chuck.
2. Have the character follow a path and then use the motion puppet to create a walk animation.  

To get a character to walk up stairs the easiest way is convert the stairs into a terrain and then just walk the character up or down the stairs using a method above.   If the stairs are a complex model just use simple  cube props to simulate the steps.  Attach them together and hide the prop or make it a dummy.  Now convert to terrain.

Its not a perfect method but you can use camerawork and cuts to hide the flaws and better convey the action/story.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f3b2681b-c26c-41f3-9683-222c.jpg

WIN 10, COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 500H, MSI GAMING PRO CARBON X470 RGB, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1650 GAMING X - 4GB GDDR5 RAM GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB RAM, SSD M.2 Corsair Force Series MP510 480 GB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5 HDD 4 TB.

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
AlbinosGambit
AlbinosGambit
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Sorry Peter, an honest mistake.

If you work for RL, maybe this could be the subject of a new tutorial? I really hope so because sooner or later this is something we all would need somewhere down the line:-)

Best regards
Albin
(AlbinosGambit)
ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Download free plugin Pose Manager. 
Watch Pose Manager video on product page.
Last section demonstrates animation using pose sequences.
Pose character at various stages of descending stairs.
Apply poses on timeline. (loop if necessary)
Render

Nathan

Reading This Topic