Profile Picture

Can I export blend shapes to Maya?

Posted By ece3k 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
ece3k
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hello,
  I am new to CC3 and wanted to export to MAYA a character with bones and blendshapes.  Whenever I export fbx I get no mesh, and when I export obj, I seem to have no blend shapes.  But I see those sliders in CC3.  How do I get those into maya?
Thanks,
Erik.  
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Erik

I'm a little puzzled what you mean by you have no mesh when you export to FBX. Are you choosing the Maya preset on the export panel in CC3?. If so this should work fine in Maya (it does for me).

Please Note: OBJ only contains the mesh. You won't have the bone rig so you must export to FBX if you want to animate your character.

If you continue to have problems, please posts a screenshot of the FBX Export panel in CC3 and also a screenshot showing the character open in Maya. Thanks.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

ece3k
ece3k
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)Senior Member (311 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Thanks for the response.  I was able to change the import settings in Maya and get the mesh and bone info to come in.  It also came in with the blend shape data so all is good when using fbx.  I thought there might be a way to export the blend shapes as separate OBJ's and then use Maya's blend shape editor to reattach to a base OBJ.   The item I changed was instead of "update animation:" in Maya's fbx importer I had to change it to ADD.  Then the character came in properly.  I guess I don't need the 3D Xchange or iClone7 then since it seems to work straight out of CC3.  I am trying to figure out what I need to purchase as I want to make 6 superhero characters of different ethnicies and body types but all wearing the same superman/superwoman costume.  I should be able to do that with CC3 and the morph pack.
  Thanks,
Erik

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks for updating us. Smile

If you purchase Character Creator 3 Pipeline then you don't need iClone 7 or 3DXchange 7 Pipeline to export characters in FBX format.

However, if you wish to create animations for your characters and export them from CC3 with the character, then you will need iClone 7 to do the animating.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic