Unreal Crashes and Warnings

Posted By Dan Miller 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dan Miller
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
When I transfer via Live Link it ends up crashing UE4. Also when I first connect via Live Link I get a list of warnings:

(02) Can't evaluate frame for 'CC_Base'. No data was available.
(02) Upgrade your code. Curve elements count has changed from the previous frame. That will clear the previous frames of that subject.
(02) Upgrade your code. Curve elements count has changed from the previous frame. That will clear the previous frames of that subject.
(30,716) Trying to add more than 64 frames in the same frame. Oldest frames will be discarded.

Maybe I just have something setup wrong. Anyone else having these kinds of issues? I find that UE4 crashes all the time, not just in transfer. It seems to be related to Live Link because when I use it without the iClone Live Link, there is not issue.
Edited
4 Years Ago by danmiller
Dan Miller
Dan Miller
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

I'm still trying to figure out what's going wrong. I created a new project with UE4 4.23, re-installed plugins, and everything seemed to be fine. Then I transferred one character and one camera and the result was 'An Unreal process has crashed: EU4-(project name).

Crash report files:

LoginId:f76a393749985a556d594ba489e099e7
EpicAccountId:f4641cde9be14d648c7dd01ad43ef769
Unhandled exception
UE4Editor_Sockets
UE4Editor_RLLiveLink!FRLLiveLinkModule::Run() [c:\users\allenlee.beyoung\desktop\unreal\4.23\rllivelink\hostproject\plugins\rllivelink\source\rllivelink\private\rllivelink.cpp:205]
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

LiveLink looks like it would be useful but still have not been able to use it due to engine crashes. I suspect the culprit is on the Reallusion side with their plugin.
Lord_Dreadmoor
Lord_Dreadmoor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Dude, when LiveLink first came out I was all on board. I might even still be in the future when using direct motion capture live rigs, but ever since I upgraded to Unreal Engine 4.24 it has been a source of constant aggravation, not nearly as much with 4.23 as you mentioned previously, but now, total pain in the ass. Truthfully, I have been getting much greater results by bypassing the need for the plugin altogether. I simply export my based model from CC3, as well as animations from iClone 7, then make sure to enable morph targets when importing the character into UE4 via FBX so that facial animation works, then import the FBX animation files using the intended character as skeletal reference. Boom, done. Now I can animate both my CC3 characters as well as my UE4 characters at the same time, in the same sequencer, without having to run two programs at once and eat up all that additional RAM. I know that there are people who have shown amazing results using the plugin and I'm hoping to do the same at some point, so it's all a matter of preference, but for me, at this moment and the amount of work I need to complete, I can't afford the constant errors and crashes, so bypass it is. 

artstation.com/dreadmoormediaarts
Dan Miller
Dan Miller
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Good to know and thanks for sharing. Although I would like to get the Live Link plugin figured out, I think I will do what your suggesting until they work through the problems. It has been pure aggravation and I'm not getting anything done. Plus I just moved over from Unity so trying to learn UE4 at the same time. The biggest reason I started using UE4 over Unity was the Live Link plugin.  Smile   Also, I did have someone tell me that UE4 is much better for filmmaking out of the box over Unity. Have you used Unity for film? 
Lord_Dreadmoor
Lord_Dreadmoor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)

Unity is better for coding if you are writing complex game code, but Unreal Engine is better by leaps and bounds for all around media production and a hell of a lot more user friendly right out of the box. Animation is a million times easier for me the more in depth I get with UE4 and after seeing that Jon Favreau uses it production for the Mandalorian, I felt even more confident about the choice to focus on production in the medium. Once I get skilled enough using it where I can replicate the exact look of my models rendered in CC3 Iray, then I'll be totally in love with the program.

Dan Miller
Dan Miller
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Lord_Dreadmoor (3/5/2020)
Unity is better for coding if you are writing complex game code, but Unreal Engine is better by leaps and bounds for all around media production and a hell of a lot more user friendly right out of the box. Animation is a million times easier for me the more in depth I get with UE4 and after seeing that Jon Favreau uses it production for the Mandalorian, I felt even more confident about the choice to focus on production in the medium. Once I get skilled enough using it where I can replicate the exact look of my models rendered in CC3 Iray, then I'll be totally in love with the program.

Awesome, sounds like the right choice making the jump to UE4. I was really impressed with the making of Mandalorian and I'm very interested in Virtual Production. However, I think I may need to focus on animated only film for a few years, until I can afford the equipment and actors for virtual production.

If you figure out how to get the exact look as rendered in iRay in CC3, please share, that would be really helpful. I haven't worked with any of that much myself, just in the beginning stages of figuring out the workflow. Are you planning on making feature length film? I'm kicking around the idea of animated shorts for awhile to get community feedback and sell on Amazon. I'm sure they will kind of suck for awhile but it would gradually get better. My intent is eventually feature length and self distribute on Amazon. Although I'm open to learning more on the distribution front to see if there might be a better strategy. For awhile TUGG seemed like a good way to get into the movie theaters but they already went out of business.
Lord_Dreadmoor
Lord_Dreadmoor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Follow this artist's channels on both Artstation as well as YouTube if you want to see what it looks like to perfect animation filmmaking in Unreal Engine 4. This is the gold standard mate.

erasmus_brosdau.artstation.com

Lord_Dreadmoor
Lord_Dreadmoor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Granted, he also uses a lot of higher end programs in creating assets like Zbrush and Maya, but you can definitely still get comparable results using just the tools available like Reallusion software and maybe Daz Studio and Photoshop. You just have to do a bit more work, but it's definitely doable. A lot of work I post on this forum is part of a pretty large project I am working on comprised of several vignettes, varying in genre and style, which I plan to use as a grant proposal, so I'm taking my time to ensure that everything is polished as hell, even if I have to remake the same models over and over and over again until I am happy with the results.

Dan Miller
Dan Miller
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Cool, thanks for the tip to follow Erasmus Brosdau. 

Maya is a bit expensive but I wouldn't be opposed to adding Zbrush to the workflow. Or maybe paying someone who is skilled in Zbrush might make more sense. Best of luck with your grant proposal; sounds like you have a big project going. I have not written a grant request before but I hear they can be time consuming. I look forward to seeing your work as you make it available.
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Yes I am with the Lord , tried Unity too , Models look nice with the hd shaders but Camera work is too complicated for me.
Here is another link of a Champions League Artist in UE4
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aRVVzz

Reading This Topic