Iray Render range limit -Help

Posted By Ascensi 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Ascensi
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Is there some range limit with Iray rendering?  My cameras clip range are set to the max .1  -  9999.9    I have objects that are approximately 150 ft away and greater but they wont appear in the render until I zoom in on them. I also just tested rendering preview mode.. same issue. I noticed that if you add a sky IBL changing the scale of that like to 300 can also disable your render.

I have a few renders that are on hold because of the limited range.. I appreciate any help on the matter, thanks. 

Store Page Link 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/906a14b0-c792-4382-99ee-7dfe.jpg
AMD 4.5 GHz 16 Cores  | 128 GB | RTX 4090 | Window11 | Houdini FX 18.5 | Zbrush 2023 | Maya 2014 | Adobe CS6 | Sonar Producer X3 | iC8, CC4 | DTS Master Audio Suite | Perception Neuron 32 Alum Edition | Akeytsu 

justaviking
This post has been flagged as an answer
justaviking
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I had an experience that might help you.  I'll try to tell the short version, and you can ask more questions if necessary.

I moved my camera too far back, so I was "outside" of the sky dome.  It looked okay in iClone, but in Iray all I could see was the sky (very blurry, because the camera was very close to the outside of it, so it was zoomed in and pixelated).

By default, Iray does not comprehend a one-sided surface, since it is not physically meaningful, generally speaking.  You don't tend to find things in the real world that are visible when viewed from one side but then are invisible when viewed from the other side.  ("Two-way mirrors" would be an exception to this, and it takes extra steps in Iray to support that.)

So...  it's possible you have a one-sided surface between your camera and your objects.  Other than zooming in, you can set the Iray clipping to be something like 50-to-9,999, and that way it will exclude the blocking surface that's close to the camera.

Did that make any sense?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Ascensi
Ascensi
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thank you for providing the solution! I've never experienced this before with any other Ray Trace Rendering.
I know Iray has a problem with flipped normals an such and maybe it caught that on the skydome but setting the near range to 50 allowed for greater distance rendering as well.  

Store Page Link 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/906a14b0-c792-4382-99ee-7dfe.jpg
AMD 4.5 GHz 16 Cores  | 128 GB | RTX 4090 | Window11 | Houdini FX 18.5 | Zbrush 2023 | Maya 2014 | Adobe CS6 | Sonar Producer X3 | iC8, CC4 | DTS Master Audio Suite | Perception Neuron 32 Alum Edition | Akeytsu 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Ascensi

Reading This Topic