Suggested Improvements to "GROUP MANAGER"

Posted By jdpix 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jdpix
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi there -
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I want to thank REALLUSION for writing the Group Manager plug-in!  It will be really amazing once it is fully functional.

A few notes/suggestions:
1)  The Plug-in doesn't seem to see props that have been nested (attached) to a Parent Prop - it seems to only see the Parent Prop.  (Am I missing something?)
2)  Is it possible to select a prop then shift select way down the list of props to select ALL THE PROPS in that area between the 2 clicks?  To have to manually move 100 or more props one at a time is challenging!
3)  Similarly it would be great to be able to CONTROL-Click several props and move them to a folder at the same time.
4)  The plug in seems to automatically turn lights to the "ON" position exposing all of their cones etc. - this is tricky when I have 20 or more lights in the scene... 

Thank you!!!
Marty3DGuru
Marty3DGuru
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
This is a great idea for a plugin.
As it stands though it is pretty unusable. If you save a scene it doesn't save the group states at all.
If you start a new scene, it retains all the previous groups even though none of the items exist in the scene anymore, thus a restart of iClone is necessary.
Lots to work on but the idea of a group manager is a great idea and will be welcomed once developed more.

You also cannot rename the default group 0, only new groups created by user can be renamed.

It would be nice to select a range of objects and then press 'add to group button' or delete from group type functionality.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Marty3DGuru
Eric C (RL)
Eric C (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week
Hi  @jdpix and @Marty3DGuru,

Really appreciate your feedback. Now that our Python API has opened, and we look forward to our community talents to join our plugin development force!
So I am sharing all the resources here to encourage more people to take part in building a satisfying plugin.
The developer can also list a price and sell it on our RL Marketplace for every iClone user.
Hope this helps, and thank you for sharing the feedback!

Edited
4 Years Ago by Eric C (RL)
elMartino
elMartino
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)

Hi Eric, Are there any plans by RL to extend the API capabilities to query the children or parents of props(objects)? That would be great. If I see it right we can only set the parent on RlObject at the moment.
elMartino
elMartino
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)

Hi  @jdpix and @Marty3DGuru,

After spending quite some time on it I released my take on the group management idea today: iGroup
I considered your feedback and tried to work around some API limitations like the inaccessibility of the object hierarchy (you cant query the attachments) and a few other things. I hope some will find it useful.
I'll make a trial version available soon.

Reading This Topic