Best computer to run IClone 7 and Iray?

Posted By rightdecis 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rightdecis
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I am considering getting a new Alienware laptop for IClone 7 and Iray. While the computer I currently have runs them very good, I'm interested in what the best of the best for running this program and plugin for it is. Can anyone tell me what the best is?

I make my dreams into movies.

animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 52 minutes ago
I bought an Alienware 17 R5, and I am quite pleased with it. I bought a few years ago and it has a GTX 1070, whereas the current ones have the RTX 2000 series.

I was actually hesitant to get a laptop, but I needed something that I could travel with, so after doing research I ended up with the Alienware. From reviews I learned that those with the top graphics card had overheating problems, so that is why I choose the one with the GTX 1070, which would be the RTX 2070 today. If you want more power you can also connect the Alienware Graphics Amplifier, which is said to support up to an RTX 2080 Ti.

For the processor I went with an i7 although an i9 was available, but it would have been much more expensive.

The screen is a 1920x1080 because 4K doesn't really make sense for a 17" screen that is used to do work, but it seems that that option is no longer available.

Hmm, Dell has too many options. I don't see the Alienware 17 R5 anymore, but there is a new Alienware M17 to replace it.

It's a bit late now, but additional specs for mine are 16 GB RAM and 2 drives. Also get Windows 10 Pro.

Presidents day is coming up so there may be some good sales. I got mine for around $2,000.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

rightdecis
rightdecis
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Thank you for the recommendation. And I looked up about these Alienware Graphics Amplifiers. It seems they only work with Alienware 13 and up. I actually have an old Alienware that I've had for 10 years now. I don't know if it's a 13.

I make my dreams into movies.

thedirector1974
thedirector1974
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Does it really has to be a Laptop? You pay more fore less power. Be aware that a mobile version of the graphic card has less power then the desktop version. And there is no way of changing the GPU if it get's to old and to slow.
Just a reminder ...
kungphu
kungphu
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Currently I’m using an older Alienware laptop with a 1060Ti and 32gb if ram. “thedirector” is correct, laptop cards are not the same power as desktop cards. I am also using a graphics accelerator I bought off of eBay with a 1080ti. It’s a great combo. I recently received the best preset ever in an RTX Titan. I don’t think it’s supposed to be compatible, but it works like a champ in the graphics accelerator.

The only reason I went with a laptop is because I travel a ton for my day job. Nice to work and do the basics of a scene on the road then get home and use the graphics accelerator when I need more juice. Best of luck.

My "NEWEST" LatestSmile  Movie Made With Amaaaazing iClone

—> High Noon”ish” in Narrow Valley<—

Reading This Topic