Profile Picture

CC Character Bone Issue in Unity

Posted By HappyKat100 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
HappyKat100
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Hey All,

I'm looking for some advice.  I created a CC3 character and exported to Unity.  Most animations work fine, but I've noticed when using a ledge grab animation (hanging from a wall), my CC3 character's feet go right through it.  I've tried the animation with a character I purchased from the Unity Asset store and a Mixamo character and as you can see from the image they look fine.

I think it must be something to do with the bone or muscle setup in my CC3 character.  I've noticed my CC3 character is around the same height as the other characters but has slightly shorter arms - not by a ton though.  Any advice on how to fix this??

Many thanks in advance!!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1a6877f0-7748-4963-a407-e40d.png
F O R W A R D
F O R W A R D
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Interesting, I'm also working with Unity and have been trying to add Dynamic Bones to the female breasts, it's like a must these days to add breast movement to the females, but the bones of the CC3 characters are attached to the spine or something I think. I will try to solve the issue or will end up making a post about it.
I'm also starting with these things but, it seems you might have to add Colliders to the feet individually. 
HappyKat100
HappyKat100
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)

I think it's related to the bone setup.  CC3 seems to apply a different bone setup than most 3rd party models.  I've noticed my 3rd party models even when from different sources seem to follow some kind of standard setup i.e. their pelvis is in exactly the same place etc.  I'm wondering if there is a standard bone setup we should be applying to CC3 humanoids for Unity?  Standard animations look ok i.e idle, walk etc. but the standard CC3 setup doesn't work well at all for anything else (per my initial picture).

Any RealIllusion experts reading this?  Would love some advice!  Thx
Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi benwebley, 

It seems that it's caused by different body types. We can duplicate this issue by applying same motions on different Mixamo characters.

We quickly searched the Internet, and this video might be helpful to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGB1ipH6DrM

I will keep you posted if there is other good info.
HappyKat100
HappyKat100
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi there,

Apologies for the delayed response.  What you're recommending is setting up IK for these types of animations.  The only way I can think to do this effectively is to create specific anchors on each wall for the feet to "pin" to and then blend FK/IK in and out for specific points of the animation.  This is a lot of work especially as it would be JUST for the CC3 character as all other characters work great as they are.

Essentially, and I'm sad to say I'm going to have to shelf CC3 for now.  There should be a simpler setup to the bones or rig that should get it more inline with other 3rd party assets so I'm not messing around with IK for something like this.

If you find a more simple solution that might work please do share as I'll keep an eye on this thread just in case.

Thanks again!
Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
benwebley (3/1/2020)
Hi there,

Apologies for the delayed response.  What you're recommending is setting up IK for these types of animations.  The only way I can think to do this effectively is to create specific anchors on each wall for the feet to "pin" to and then blend FK/IK in and out for specific points of the animation.  This is a lot of work especially as it would be JUST for the CC3 character as all other characters work great as they are.

Essentially, and I'm sad to say I'm going to have to shelf CC3 for now.  There should be a simpler setup to the bones or rig that should get it more inline with other 3rd party assets so I'm not messing around with IK for something like this.

If you find a more simple solution that might work please do share as I'll keep an eye on this thread just in case.

Thanks again!

Hi benwebley,

Can you provide us the avatar in Unity project to let us clarify the root cause? (send private message to me)
We'd like to check if it's the bone structural problem issue. If this is the case, we will discuss if there are other ways to improve. Thank you!

Miranda

Edited
4 Years Ago by Miranda (RL)

Reading This Topic