Profile Picture

What am I doing wrong? Texture and material issues.

Posted By Evey Fawkes 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Evey Fawkes
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Merry Christmas everyone.

The weirdest thing: I built a house in Blender and made it into an OBJ.
As I want to decorate the walls, floors, etc, I made all the parts into sub-props in 3DX.
It is a very low poly object.
I can't for the life of me get the materials (.imtl or an .jpeg file) to show up on the parts of the house.
It always shows up as a single color. I tried fidling with the tiling, pressed "apply", tried "bake" but nothing works.
I also tried to add the image files in 3DX, but get the same result.
When I try the same method on a single basic block with only 6 vertices, it shows up fine (see example pic).
WHAT am I doing wrong? I'm adding sample pix. 
Greatful for your help.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/424f9647-641e-49d1-84e1-ca36.jpghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7ee0f37a-9c69-47d4-97cd-73ae.jpghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9ff5feaa-111d-4c42-a78d-bc4b.jpg

duchess110
duchess110
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi Evey Fawkes
I do not use Blender I use an old version of 3DS Max but the general usage is the same.
In blender did you do unwrap on your model, (or another way of saying it is put a UV Map modifier) where you cut up and place you wall etc. to fall in line with
your image or texture.

Duchess Designs Store 

Edited
5 Years Ago by duchess110
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Did you apply a UV map to your house materials in Blender?

For any object (anything, really) that you will be putting a texture map on you need UV coordinates.  If you don't have those, there is no way the map can be applied properly.

Now, you *can* apply Substance materials (which, in essence, generate their own UVs).  But other than that it's your responsibility to correctly UV map any object you bring inside of iClone (or to make sure it already has such maps -- most objects others create do).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Evey Fawkes
Evey Fawkes
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Thank you both for replying.
No, silly me, I forgot all about the UV unwrap in Blender.
It's been too long since I made a model in Blender.
Let me fiddle with it and retry the procedure.
I'll let you know what happened.
Thanks again for your time.
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
@Evey Fawkes
As your model contains relatively simple shapes, you could also create the UVs directly into iClone from the Modify -> Material -> "UV Settings".
Using "Box" as UV Type should work in most cases.

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

Reading This Topic