Profile Picture

Long Load Times Importing from Daz3D

Posted By MattVG 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
MattVG
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I just purchased CC3 Pipeline with iClone 7, and 3DXchange Pipeline. I'm learning the software and moving one of my characters from Daz3D to CC3, but every step of the process takes an extremely long time (~30 mins). Even after getting my character (Genesis 3 female with hair and a dress) into CC3 and have saved the project, loading the project again, takes about 15 minutes. The CharacterCreator3Temp folder balloons to ~9GBs during this time. Everything is being run off an SSD under Windows 8.1.

I've been following the official Reallusion Youtube videos on moving characters, clothing, etc... from DAZ3D to CC3 and perhaps the videos are edited, but the presenter doesn't seem to need to wait very long for any of the steps.

Am I missing something? The wait time seems wrong as does the massive temp folder.

www.MattVG-Art.com
Edited
5 Years Ago by MattVG
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Try this: take a naked Gen 3 female and export from Daz.  Import into CC3, choose Advanced but do not check anything else when the import box comes up.  How long does that take?  (Typically, without importing texture maps, a raw CC3 figure should import in a minute or two).

If that takes substantially longer we'd want to know your video card and whether you are using the latest drivers or not.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 30 minutes ago
System specifications would indeed be helpful as these times are not normal.

The temp file does get big because the program stores data for recovery after a crash. So it is important to have sufficient space on your system drive.

I'm not sure what running under Windows 8.1 will do.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

MattVG
MattVG
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)Senior Member (296 reputation)

I'm running Windows 8.1, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080

Default, naked Gen 3 female:
From clicking "Advanced" to the "Asset Import Status Report" - 39 secs
From "Asset Import Status Report" to finish - 46 secs

My custom character naked:
"Advanced" to "Asset Import Status Report" dialog windows - 43 secs
"Asset Import Status Report" to finish - 46 secs

Perhaps it's something about the clothing or hair that's slowing everything down. I will continue testing as these test times are reasonable.

P.S. Mike Kelley, are there any 3D art and animation forums and groups you aren't a part of? I see you everywhere  Smile

www.MattVG-Art.com
Edited
5 Years Ago by MattVG
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Um, well there are an awful lot of "Mike Kelley's" out there, so I wouldn't necessarily assume it's me.  Might be, but just saying.

Yes, your machine is fine.  My guess is it's the hair and if you let me know exactly what hair (and outfit) with a Daz link (to where you got it) I can test it myself (I have *most* of Daz' catalog, at least if it's been released for at least two months.  I don't buy new stuff as a general rule).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
MattVG
MattVG
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Well, over the years I've spotted a "Mike Kelley" sporting an avatar drawn with white hair and glasses on a variety of forums, primarily the Moho forums, though I've not been over there in quite some time.

In any case, the hair does seem to have been the problem. I removed it and the fully clothed character imports within a reasonable time frame. The hair was Sapphire Hair.

On another note, does CC3 recognize when the same texture file is being used in multiple places? For instance, Cornea_Diffuse, Irises_Diffuse, and Pupils_Diffuse all use the same image texture, but when I export to FBX, there are three duplicate files with differing names.

www.MattVG-Art.com
Edited
5 Years Ago by MattVG
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I was indeed very active on Moho -- it was the software used to draw our TV series and for a LONG time I was a beta tester (with, I thought, some valuable input).  Haven't even installed Moho on my current machine, as I strictly do 3D animation nowadays.

Sapphire hair is an older, OOT hair and usually their hair is fine but this one looks to be troublesome.  I can try loading it up if you are determined to see what's going on with it, but it looks unlikely to be very usable in iClone.  What I always say to anyone is that if you have any questions about a Daz item, no matter what it is, ask here first and I'll let you know if it works in iClone.

CC3 uses two different texture sets for each eye (so you can have left and right textures).  I have no idea what happens beyond that but you can always consolidate things yourself by just using the paint bucket can and filling anything with any other texture (so it links the two together).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
MattVG
MattVG
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

The hair isn't a big deal. Currently most of my work is illustration and painting the hair looks better than DAZ hair. When I do animate, it's stylized, so I won't be using DAZ hair. Thank you for your help.

www.MattVG-Art.com
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 30 minutes ago
This is just a suggestion, as I don't own the Sapphire hair, but I remember that some DAZ hair is very high poly. Would it be possible to decimate it?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I would try it if the OP wanted to use that hair but honestly, the hair isn't all that good so I don't really even want to go through the effort.  And, in general, if it takes that long to import into CC3 it probably isn't worth the effort to decimate either in Daz or afterwards in CC3.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic