Are voice clips position based?

Posted By FallenNInja 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
FallenNInja
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I recorded a few face live clips and noticed that the recorded audio did not seem to correlate to the cameras position once played back.

Is there a way to achieve this?
for example: If my character is to the right of the camera I would like his voice to primarily come out of the right speaker.

I know this can be done in post using a video editor but I would much rather have proper directional audio.

animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Voice and other audio is not position based. To get the best lip-syncing you want a good quality mono file actually. Any effects should be done afterwards in post.

I know opinions differ on this, but I think speech should not be panned left or right in order to maintain clarity. The position of the character gives enough information where the sound is coming from. In surround systems there is in fact a central channel, especially for dialog.

What I do is getting the dialog as clean is possible in iClone. I time everything using Audacity, so that there is one dialog file per person.

Using the same tracks, I then add any effects (mainly reverb to simulate the spacial environment,i.e., small room, large room, outside, etc.). These files I then use in my video editor. Doing it this way allows you to experiment without having to redo the lip-syncing.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
+1 to what Animagic said.

Most dialogue in movies is on the "center channel" since the person speaking is almost always on-screen.  That's my understanding, anyway, especially for television.  You could make a case for left/right speech audio if a person is off-screen and his position is important.  But for a phone conversation or something like that, yeah, keep it on the center channel.

Like Animagic, I also am an Audacity fan.  It's FREE and does everything I need it do to.  I probably do more audio work in my video editor than Animagic does, but that's just because I like to work when I can see the video (no special technical reason).  But at least my video editor gives me good volume control (and L/R channel balance, if I wanted to), so it satisfies me.

For me, everything is mono except for music tracks, which come in stereo and I don't change it.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
5 Years Ago by justaviking

Reading This Topic