Posted By TonyDPrime 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

So Confused on Protocol for Texture Re-projection in PRO

Author
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 days ago
I find it very easy to shape a face to what I want, but here I am asking about projection.
Very confused what the protocol is supposed to be.

ie - Picture is slanted, so I attempt to fix with Image-Matching tools:
1) Activate Image Matching
2) Activate Sculpt Morph
3) Map Shape to Photo
4) Re-Project.

Great, so now the texture matches correctly on face, but I am left with all the Sculpting morphs on the face I just used, making the face completely asymmetrical.

Are you then supposed to undo all the Sculpts following re-projection to return the face shape to what it was before?  Otherwise I have morph asymmetry.
But when I try this, the textures then look all popped and distorted because it tries to blindly 're-fit' on a symmetrical head. 

What exactly is the protocol step I am missing, I want the shape of the face to remain the same.
In the tutorial video, it shows adjustment of lip, but then the asymmetrical morph is just left on the face?  
Very confused!
ryanlin
ryanlin
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
TonyDPrime (11/21/2019)
I find it very easy to shape a face to what I want, but here I am asking about projection.
Very confused what the protocol is supposed to be.

ie - Picture is slanted, so I attempt to fix with Image-Matching tools:
1) Activate Image Matching
2) Activate Sculpt Morph
3) Map Shape to Photo
4) Re-Project.

Great, so now the texture matches correctly on face, but I am left with all the Sculpting morphs on the face I just used, making the face completely asymmetrical.

Are you then supposed to undo all the Sculpts following re-projection to return the face shape to what it was before?  Otherwise I have morph asymmetry.
But when I try this, the textures then look all popped and distorted because it tries to blindly 're-fit' on a symmetrical head. 

What exactly is the protocol step I am missing, I want the shape of the face to remain the same.
In the tutorial video, it shows adjustment of lip, but then the asymmetrical morph is just left on the face?  
Very confused!

Hi, TonyDPrime,
We don't suggest to use a slanted picture. (see Headshot online manual)
"undo all the Sculpts following re-projection to return the face shape to what it was before"
No, Headshot don't do this. All morphs that users applly are intended, since human heads are not symmetric.
"I want the shape of the face to remain the same."
If you really want to do this, you may save the shape first, then change its texture to the image created by "re-project".
"the textures then look all popped and distorted"
In a slanted picture, it may loss the texture information on the other side of the face.
Headshot won't sythesize the lost texture information.
You said "popped and distorted". I'm not sure what it means. Can you give us a sample?
Thanks.
Ryan
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Hi Ryanlin - okay, I understand now.
I was thinking there might be a final step for returning the face to a symmetrical shape that I was missing or not doing.
But I understand now morphs resulting in shape asymmetry will be permanent.
So I can from start use a photo that will not require slant-adjustment, and be less aggressive, and more subtle, with the photo matching.

Understood, thank you!
Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
TonyDPrime (11/21/2019)
Hi Ryanlin - okay, I understand now.
I was thinking there might be a final step for returning the face to a symmetrical shape that I was missing or not doing.
But I understand now morphs resulting in shape asymmetry will be permanent.
So I can from start use a photo that will not require slant-adjustment, and be less aggressive, and more subtle, with the photo matching.

Understood, thank you!

these might help they should be coming with more detailed videos.

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com

Reading This Topic