Unreal live link - worth it?

Posted By Makumba666 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Makumba666
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi all,
I have really simple question: does unreal live link add any features to improve imported models quality? IMHO ability to import models in Unreal with one click is rather useful, but it certainly DOES NOT worth 1500 USD. What I badly lack in pipeline process is ability to import better quality model in Unreal - especially hairs. Lets say it honestly quality of hairs you can export to game engines is terrible (that probably explain why  live link showcase topic mainly displays some robots, anime hairs and hairless characters). I've tried character creators hairs, hairs from iClone bundles, hairs from DAZ, third party hairs - in every case I got terrible looking character, that might look ok 15 years ago, but not in modern games. So my question is simple - does unreal link solve this problem?

P.S. and let me also state that iClone auto setup plugin for unreal is piece of ... you know what I mean. I have no problem with other parts of body, but hairs... it imports some monstrosity, not hairs. Why is that hard to make hairs that look ok in character creator and iclone also look ok in game engine? 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Makumba666
Mystic360VR
Mystic360VR
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
if I wanted to code my own plug in I would be a fricken coder but I am not so....i gotta buy shit. I am a 1 man band studio and I don't have time to waste.
My release window is very tight and looking at the time saving that $700 makes total perfect business sense 

I bought Live link last week at 699 so I've already saved $200 of it's price this week. That said, after 1 test I was solddddddd.
Before:
A 30-45 minute FBX import that didn't do what I wanted it to or look/do any thing like it did in iclone.
After:
Loaded perfectly identical from iclone into unreal in under 3 minutes.
I actually screamed out [Removed] at 1 am when it "Just Worked" exactly how I wanted it to.

Less time working on the How, more time working on the What I am creating.

That $700 plug in erased 2 months of failure instantly. Anything that speeds up my pipeline is worth it even at the full price. Money = Time. 
The fastest path that gets me there just got easier. Yes it blows they make you pay at ever inch of the pipeline but this one is different.

Hobbyist vs Professional.... and I can't afford the time not having this plug in.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Peter (RL)
Mystic360VR
Mystic360VR
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Working on the last scene of this music video and I have 20 characters in a bar performance. I was able to program them using Live Link but there is no way to record with that many streaming so I have to FBX them all in.
55 minutes for each one to import so at least Live Link made it so that I know that fbx is perfect. I literally see at alarm for every 50 minutes for the next day to get this finished. Even though I ccan't get this done 100% using Live link it's still making a huge impact on my time.

Reading This Topic