Stand Alone render limited to 50?

Posted By pka4916 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
@raxel_67: a guide would be good indeed and may inspire people.

What I'd like to know is what the optimum point is to kick in the denoiser. The denoiser slows rendering of a frame down somewhat, so that is why I enable it fairly late.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1a09220f-ab50-42ac-ad1a-33ec.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/Uploads/Images/d14339d0-cd32-4b35-88f9-40a0.png

justaviking
justaviking
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (16.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
animagic (11/15/2019)
What I'd like to know is what the optimum point is to kick in the denoiser. The denoiser slows rendering of a frame down somewhat, so that is why I enable it fairly late.

I did some fairly extensive testing on that question, and concluded there is no advantage to turning on the denoiser prior to the last frame.

I admit, I typically turn in on a few frames early, but there's no need.  I did tests (for example) with 200 iterations, turning the denoiser on at frame 1, frame 50, frame 190, and frame 200.  The results were all the same.  It is not a cumulative denoising.  The denoising is basically a "post-processing" effect and does not carry over into the next iteration.

On the flip side, there is very little cost in turning the denoiser on early.  There is a noticeable delay when it is first activated, but after that the time required to denoise a frame is like "milliseconds" (or maybe up to a few hundredths of a second), so running it on a few hundred extra iterations won't really harm you.

BOTTOM LINE:  The "optimal point" is the last frame.  If you are rendering for 200 iteration, you might as well turn on the denoiser at iteration 200.

P.S.
One exception is if you are also invoking a "Time constraint" on your rendering which might be hit.  So if you have a limit of 200 iterations or 3 minutes of rendering time, it is possible that your render stops at iteration 187.  So in that case you'd want the denoiser to kick in a iteration 150 or sooner, to ensure it gets run.

P.P.S.
There is a "quality" feature in Iray that lets you render until some magical "quality" value is reached.  I think it's a feature of the iteration-to-iteration change in your image.  I never had luck getting to work by manually editng the Iray files, and unfortunately it's not supported via the plug-in.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 7, i7-3770k CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 16GB RAM, Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard, 500 GB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
Last Year by justaviking
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
animagic (11/15/2019)
@raxel_67: a guide would be good indeed and may inspire people.

I guess the optimum point depends a lot on what is in your scene

here i rendered up to 60 iterations and the denoiser started at 50, it looks ok

same settings for this character, it looks good but it is wrong, in this case the denoiser is screwing up, it killed the texture of the top, here is what it actually looks like in the viewport

my guess is the denoiser still needs more information to work properly, in the case of this avatar a 1000 iterations and denoiser at 999 still yields bad results