Rendering video takes too long to complete

Posted By Parthoo Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
justaviking
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
garry.smout (12/6/2019)
Tried my first render since re-installing iC.7 (thanks Peter RL!) and it was so slow I gave up and did a test render of just 34 frames. 40 minutes later it had manged 25 frames. Gave up again! The scene is basic - about 5 trees, snow, 3 avatars in idle mode. There is some light effect, but hell, if you can't do that what is the point! Running, from fresh start, i.e no other programs in background, Windoze 10, Intel Core i7 6700 2.60GHz, 16 RAM. I remember some years back I had a similar issue which involved switching something off but can't find that thread! Annoyed!

What graphics card do you have?  That has a huge impact on iClone performance.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 7, i7-3770k CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 16GB RAM, Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard, 1TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

animagic
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
@Garry: You may get more responses when posting in the iClone forum. This is for Cartoon Animator.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1f3bed13-1788-45e1-9ace-4fd0.jpg

Edited
Last Year by animagic
garry.smout
garry.smout
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Thanks for pointing that out! I was going by the thread - was searching in i7- and didn't notice that it had changed! I find searching the forum extremely difficult with illogical results, a point I think I have raised before. Will try again on correct forum as that might offer the 'switch off' option I was hunting! You have helped me in the past, so thanks for this and I wish you a happy festive season!
garry.smout
garry.smout
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)Veteran Member (837 reputation)

@justaviking Graphics card is GeForce GTX 970m. Has worked in the past!!!
justaviking
justaviking
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.4K reputation)

Thanks for the model of your graphics card..  I looked up the specs, and the "3GB" of VRAM concerns me.  How much video memory is your scene using?  You can have iClone tell you, and for more information I recommend "GPU-Z" ("G" for "Graphics").  It's free and will tell you a lot about what your GPU is doing.

If your project exceeds your VRAM size, performance will plummet.  Even though your project isn't "large," the trees and stuff can eat up a surprising amount of memory in a hurry.

If nothing else, a tool like GPU-Z is a good way to rule out potential bottlenecks.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 7, i7-3770k CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 16GB RAM, Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard, 1TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
Last Year by justaviking
garry.smout
garry.smout
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

@justaviking The scene was taking up 2.2.  Removing all the trees didn't seem to affect it so I deleted everything that was not in the scene including 3 'hidden' avatars and then it finally dropped! I thought if 'hidden' it meant not counted in the render time so decided there must be something wrong or corrupt in the whole project therefore started afresh and it seems to be OK now.  I may have to look at this graphics card issue because you're right; 3GB is not much in the world of iClone etc! Many thanks as I think you cracked it.  
justaviking
justaviking
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@Gary - Glad you got it running better.

When you do shop for a new card (new system?), start with 8GB of VRAM as a good target.  Also iClone does benefit from Nvidia cards, so a GTX 1070 is a minimum recommendation, and a GTX 1080 and up is good advice.

I wish Nvidia had more 12GB and 16GB cards available at "reasonable" prices.  AMD is good ad selling cards with more memory, but some iClone features like Global Illumination (I think that's one) really need Nvidia cards.  And if you ever want to use Iray, you can run if slowly on your CPU or "quickly" on your Nvidia card (AMD cards don't support it, but it will still run, but only on your CPU).

Happy iCloning.  Smile

Reading This Topic