4K Monitor and Preview Renders

Posted By ultimativity 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
ultimativity
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello,  I am making a film using the native IClone 7 renderer.  I plan to edit in Hitfilm Express; however, I would like to get the best quality footage possible in my renders. 
Does resolution of my monitor affect the quality of render when I select Preview and Optimize With Fullscreen Render for video renders? Would usiing a 4K monitor fullscreen provide better renders than my current 1080 monitor?
Thanks,
Nathan

Nathan

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Nathan... The monitor resolution doesn't affect the render quality. Even if you are using a 1920 x 1080 monitor you can still render a 4k video.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
ultimativity (10/26/2019)
Hello,  I am making a film using the native IClone 7 renderer.  I plan to edit in Hitfilm Express; however, I would like to get the best quality footage possible in my renders. 
Does resolution of my monitor affect the quality of render when I select Preview and Optimize With Fullscreen Render for video renders? Would usiing a 4K monitor fullscreen provide better renders than my current 1080 monitor?

I would not use Preview as that will result in lower quality in my experience.

I would render as an PNG image sequence to avoid codec artifacts. That way also, you can experiment with various render settings on a single frame and judge what's best in your case.

I have a 4k monitor and use the Optimize With Fullscreen Render. In general, I no longer use super-sampling as that may interfere with DOF quality. However, sometimes super-sampling is necessary to avoid a moire effect (rings) on surfaces. For that reason there is also an option to add some noise to the render.

What is "best" depends on the situation, so single-frame render tests are useful to see what's best in your case.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
5 Years Ago by animagic
ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks for responding. Good, then I don't have to replace my monitor. I have tried .pngs and was impressed with the result.

Nathan

Reading This Topic