[Before Launch] Headshot Gallery

Posted By Miranda (RL) 2 Years Ago
Rated 3 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
TonyDPrime
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 hours ago
Rampa (10/27/2019)
So the UI was made to have tabs for the different windows. You can tear any tab off and dock it to either side, or the same side in a new section. So you can actually have Headshot right above the modify panel on the same side and hover over the texture in the modify panel to show both the skin textures and the Headshot image simultaneously.

Not a workaround at all, actually. Wink

Rampa, you would want to have them next to each other, like I showed, so you can immediately discern differences in brightness, contrast, hue, and saturation.
If you have one on one side of the screen and then the other on the other side of the screen, separated by whatever you have in the middle of the screen, you then have distracting visual elements interfering here, for no good reason.
And I know what you are saying, you could then drag the UI panel over and put it right next to it....
But this is way too messy now, just a bad design regimen for what I am suggesting.  It will look and work really poorly compared to my way, which is much much much much, in so many different ways, better.
animagic
animagic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
justaviking (10/23/2019)
animagic (10/23/2019)
It would nice if RL would do something for those who had to buy CT8 Pipeline to still have a head creation feature...

Wow, we'd have to search way deep into the archives for some of those threads, but did RL make any statements about those people getting the "final solution" for free when it became available?  It seems like they did, but I"m not certain if RL said it, or just users said they should.  The CT8 Pipeline approach was positioned as an interim stop-gap solution by RL, I'm quite certain of that.  It's been so long now, they'd probably say it's no longer the same solution that they originally envisioned, which is true, since it's not the same CT8 face-fitting technology being put into iClone.  And they'd also say it is so much better too, so any ancient statements no longer apply.  But if anyone finds any RL statements about that,it would be interesting to see what they said, if anything..

I'm retired now, so I have time on my hands...Unsure

There is a post from Peter that mentions the intent of an improved Create Face feature to be part of iClone 6.3 here: https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost251878.aspx

For those interested in history, there is an endless thread about the eventual implementation involving CT8 Pipeline: https://forum.reallusion.com/259629/CrazyTalk-8-Pipeline-and-iC6-Photo-to-3D-Head-Discussion.

At this point, it's all water under the bridge, as it is now almost four years later...Blink

BTW, I would also like to say that I look forward to using the new Head Creator.Alien

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1f3bed13-1788-45e1-9ace-4fd0.jpg

Edited
2 Years Ago by animagic
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (17.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
@Job,

It's funny - I found the same two threads and debated posting about them.  As you said, "water under the bridge," but I will share one item.

One of the most interesting posts I found (abut the CrazyTalk 8 photo-to-face solution) said, "You can purchase the 3D Head Creator module as an add-on for iClone when it is released next year if you choose to wait."  Since the post is tagged as 4-years old, the "next year" release is now 3 years overdue.  There is always a tension between Reallusion sharing their plans, and people being upset when schedules are missed.  However, 3 years late is more than a little slippage.

Like you, I'll close on a positive note by saying that I am also looking forward to the Headshot feature.  It looks very promising.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 7, i7-3770k CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 16GB RAM, Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard, 1TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
2 Years Ago by justaviking
animagic
animagic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.2K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
@Tony: I have been thinking about your suggestion for color balancing, but I don't quite see have that would work effectively.

Usually, the generated skin for the body is made to match that of the head, so that there is no seam in the neck. I assume the new system will do the same.

So when the head texture is then adjusted as you suggest, the skin of the body would need to be adjusted as well to avoid a seam.

Also, given the wide variety in possible skin tones, how would you balance a skin tone that is for example much darker than the reference skin?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1f3bed13-1788-45e1-9ace-4fd0.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)

What we REALLY need is the ability to adjust the overall skin texture that is NOT based on the image used.

A lot of times the image will be wrongly colored and thus the final result (including body) will be off).  So we need a way to adjust the color overall for ALL the various parts (torso, arms, legs AND face).  Otherwise we'll have to do a whole lot of manual adjustment.

Alienware Aurora R7, Win 10, i7-8700k, 4.7GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX Titan XP (12GB), Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
3dtester
3dtester
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I can relate to what you've said, Mr. Kelley.
Always wondered if this could be a sufficient process.
Many times i haven't been satisfied with the body skin.
I didn't have many other options than replacing the whole skin.
Or edit all texures manually (which is awkward).

PS: a completely different thing i want to mention: what is happening with the 'RLHead'`feature?
I find it a great approach. So why not carry it over from CT8 to CC3?

System: i7 8700 6-core 4.6 Ghz (Turbo), 32 GB, GTX-1080Ti

Edited
2 Years Ago by 3dtester
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
You will be able to adjust the skin as you wish. Just like you can now. But it will create a match initially.

You will even be able to dock the HS panel right above the Modify panel in the UI. It is a separate tab, so you can dock or float it as you like. Rearranging UI windows lets you do that.
Edited
2 Years Ago by Rampa
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
What I am saying with the reference image has NOTHING to do with subsequent body (body, arm, leg) texture. 
The skin texture is completely a secondary issue, and a valid one I agree with.
But since it got confused into it, let me separate into 2 suggestions then:

1) My reference texture idea-  would let you on-screen immediately and efficiently reference the default CC3 avatar, or avatar texture of your choice. 
Now, keep in mind that we may be using some photos which are 'perfect' for this process, but some may have their own whitepoint, which will make the skin look off from the rest of our existing RL content world.  So, you could lighten a scene and then have your CC3 default avatar look good, along with all your Elite texture avatars looking good.  But then your Headshot avatar would be off with the lighting, due to the fact that the image you used wasn't a pristine unaltered raw diffuse with a matching whitepoint, like your underlying CC3 base or Elite texture was matched to. 

Okay, so you could go back and tweak your avatar later on to match, fine.  But what I am saying, is give us the tool up front right at the beginning to rectify color imbalances with other RL-content appearing in scene.  
The way I am suggesting you do this is with the CC3-base (or texture of your choice) in a box right next to your photo, where then you could tweak the photo to calibrate it. 
If you ever used CT8 avatars in scene with your other avatars, they can look off due to color balance differences.

2) The body skin texture - Looks like it is a flat color-matched texture without reference to the skin detail of the face. 
Now, this is not incorrect so much as it is a half-baked way of producing the skin texture. 
If plugin could 'tile' a section (maybe even section chosen by user) of the face image, and then tile-map that sample into the skin texture as part of a blend, you could get a better match of detail, I am thinking. 

-to Animagic's point of a 'default' reference - Miranda(RL) asked me the same thing, about what is the deal with the idea of using a reference because there is no true 'default' skin texture. 
But, the CC3 base would not be so much the 'default' as it would be the color-balance whitepoint benchmark.   So, for example, if your dark-skinned avatar looks great in the photo, but then looks a touch green or purple compared to CC3 base, you could modify the Hue to match it to the whitepoint of the CC3 base....that way, all the clothes and hair and makeup, and all the other stuff in the RL universe, LUTs, lighting, etc,  now can work well color-balance-wise with your new Headshot avatar.

-to Kelleytoon's point - We may use some pretty bad photos as well, even black and white ones.  So, to have a color-override would be very awesome as well.  I think I recall seeing that there was something to this effect, where maybe you could assign a color-override to the picture, so that the resulting skin has your chosen override color.  But I am not sure what exactly the plugin has a t this point, so I will call it your idea of a color override. 
And for B&W photos this would be very useful, say for Charlie Chapman or Judy Garland when she wasn't in Oz.  And yes, the color of the body parts should match that of the face.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (26.3K reputation)

Rampa (10/28/2019)
You will be able to adjust the skin as you wish. Just like you can now. But it will create a match initially..

I don't think so, Rampa (you may well be able to adjust the skin of the rest of the body, but you won't be able to change the color of the basic face).

Alienware Aurora R7, Win 10, i7-8700k, 4.7GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX Titan XP (12GB), Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Kelleytoons (10/28/2019)
Rampa (10/28/2019)
You will be able to adjust the skin as you wish. Just like you can now. But it will create a match initially..

I don't think so, Rampa (you may well be able to adjust the skin of the rest of the body, but you won't be able to change the color of the basic face).

So I am the one who was demoing this at Siggraph. I can assure you that it matches the underlying skin shade to the head image you use. Wink

Reading This Topic