iCLone 7 install on dual drive PC

Posted By jjoyner 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 17 minutes ago
It's not just the content, but the projects themselves that start to take up space. So if you use iClone regularly, you may run out of space that way. It's just that there is little reason to put content on the system disk. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
animagic (10/23/2019)
It's not just the content, but the projects themselves that start to take up space. So if you use iClone regularly, you may run out of space that way. It's just that there is little reason to put content on the system disk. 

True.

I changed a Windows preference so my "My Documents" folder is on my D: drive (a 3TB HDD), so my project files go there (or more likely, into a project-specific folder on my HDD).
I just like pressing "Next" when I install software.  Wink

No argument, though.  Just presenting the OP with two options.  If we don't thoroughly confuse someone, are we doing our jobs?

Regardless of which path is taken, the "Content" location needs to be a preference setting that we can change in iClone - even after we've done the installation - without us having to edit the Registry.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
5 Years Ago by justaviking
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Well, you confuse me alright...Unsure

What does the location of My Documents have to do with that of the project files, which, for me at least, are under ...\Reallusion\Custom\iClone 7 Custom\Project?

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Job,

I guess I normally do a SaveAs to point to a specific project folder.  If you simply click "Save," doesn't it go into your "My Documents" folder?  I was thinking it only goes into a Content folder if you click the "+" in your iClone content navigator, which I do for Props but rarely for Projects.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

But it's not only iClone.  All your other stuff... MSWord files, etc., a lot of stuff just defaults into "My Documents" and "My Pictures" and stuff like that.  My first SSD was only 256GB, which I knew would fill up fiarly quickly., so I pointed the "My" folders to my HDD.  Then I moved to a 500GB SSD as soon as it became reasonably affordable, which served me well for quite a while, even with my lack of houskeeping.  And it was just last week that up cloned it all to a 1TB SSD (Samsung 860 EVO for $130), so I should be set for quite a while again.

Oh, one other tidbit...  I "moved" from a 1TB HDD to my first 256GB SSD by moving a lot of stuff off of it ("My Documents" etc) and then "cloning" it to the SSD, so I didn't need to reinstall any softwaare.  Since I installed iClone using default values already, everything stayed the way it was.  And when the next version of iClone came out, I just accepted all the default values again.  If I really did a fresh installation on a virgin system, I'd have to give that some more thought, but my suspect I'd still take the default locations for everything anyway.  It's worked okay for me, as I'm sure you're very happy with your setup too.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
5 Years Ago by justaviking
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

How do you open your projects? If they are not under Project, they would not show up in your Content Manager.

I guess I have always used the "+" when saving a project for the first time. If I do a save, it seems to default to the Project subfolder I used last.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It's interesting how even brilliant people like you and I can approach things from different perspectives.

To open files, I usually click "File --> Open Project" (I think that defaults to the most recent folder) or more often I navigate to my project folder using Windows Explorer and double-click the project file there to open it up in iClone.  I'm likely to have the project folder open in Explorer anyway, since I'll also be working with various images, textures, audio files, and all sorts of stuff.

jjoyner
jjoyner
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)Senior Member (266 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month

Justaviking & animagic,

Thanks much for the additional feedback and discussion. I haven’t installed any software to my new laptop yet; I hope to start later this week. I’ll take all of your comments into consideration.

Edited
5 Years Ago by jjoyner
DavidinLA
DavidinLA
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
justaviking (10/23/2019)
Job,
And it was just last week that up cloned it all to a 1TB SSD (Samsung 860 EVO for $130), so I should be set for quite a while again..

When you cloned to a new HD on the same computer did any of your licenses for Reallusion or any other software fail? Or were your licenses tied to the machine opposed to the hard drive? I'd like to do something similar but the thought of dealing with all the licenses on all my various software is worrisome and stops me from going forward with any HD upgrade.

Reading This Topic