Profile Picture

iCLone 7 install on dual drive PC

Posted By jjoyner 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jjoyner
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month

I purchased iClone 7 and several other related products inApril 2019.  In September, I purchased anew laptop that is more capable of rendering 3D graphics/animations; it has twodrives (512 Gb SSD as boot C drive and 1 Tb HDD as D drive).  In September, I also retired. Now I am readyto install iClone 7 and the other software. Regardless of whether I start via Reallusion Hub or via a manualinstall, the default installation is to the C drive.  I want to be able to render as quickly aspossible.  Does this mean that I should installto the HDD keep the SSD as free of files as possible so that I can use it asthe render destination?  What is the bestpractice for installing to a dual drive system if one does not want to installto the C drive?  Is it best simply tochange C:/ to D:/ for the needed install destinations?

I’ve had iClone since version 2.5 but I’m a hobbyist – not apro – who now has more time.  Thanks inadvance.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Greetings, and welcome to the forum.

I'd actually recommend the exact opposite.
a) Keep iClone and it's "temp files" on the SSD for fastest response time
b) Direct your output - whether .avi or .mp4 or sequence of .png files - to the HDD where you have lots of room
c) If space permits, you can store your iClone project files on the SSD so they open faster, but that's not usually a huge deal, and you can move them to the other disk anytime you want

WHY?
Writing the output files is a low-intensity activity and unlikely to be the bottleneck.  You'll be happier being able to launch iClone quickly.

OTHER THOUGHTS:
When installing iClone, you can decide where to put all your "content" (sets, avatars, props, etc.).  I put mine on the C: drive (SSD), but they will eventually consume space.  I've been on a 500MB SSD for quite a while, so you should be happy that way for quite some time.  But note that it's not easy to change your mind later.  It's possible, you (groan) you have to edit the registry to point to the new content folder if you move it.  Reallusion really, really needs to make that a simple preference setting.

I'm sure others will chime in with additional thoughts.

Good luck, and have fun.  Smile

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

3dtester
3dtester
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)

Hi,
in this case, i would recommend the same as justaviking said.
- iClone Program Files don't consume much space, but the 'temp' storage should be fast
- RL content folders are frequently in use, so it is good to place them on a fast drive as well
- Output destination should have lots of space, but doesn't need to be fast.

So, with your 2 drives you don't have many other options.
However, you can always replace them with faster / larger ones Smile

PS: the 'temp' files location will always be on your C: drive.

Edited
5 Years Ago by 3dtester
jjoyner
jjoyner
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)Senior Member (262 reputation)

Justaviking,
    Thanks much for your feedback.   So many issues … so little time.
     System: laptop with Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7-9750H @2.6 – 4.5 GHz (6-core), 16 GB DDR4 @2666MHz, RTX-2060 (6 Gb)

Edited
4 Years Ago by jjoyner
jjoyner
jjoyner
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

3dtester,
    Thanks much for your feedback advising the same thing as Justaviking.
     System: laptop with Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7-9750H @2.6 – 4.5 GHz (6-core), 16 GB DDR4 @2666MHz, RTX-2060 (6 Gb)
Edited
4 Years Ago by jjoyner
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I'm going to be contrarian and suggest to store ALL content on the 1 TB drive. Even though 500 GB seems like a lot, over time the combination of content and project files will add up. My iClone content files come to almost 700 GB at the moment!

The laptop I use for iClone has a similar configuration as yours with 1 TB secondary drive. Because of space constraints, I decided to add a USB-3 4 TB drive for iClone and rendered output. That has worked well so far without major speed hurdles.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

3dtester
3dtester
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)

I agree with animagic, too. Content could grow very fast, and then you would end up with space issues on your OS drive!

How about replacing the 1 TB drive with a 2 or 3 TB hybrid?
They are relatively inexpensive and give a nice performance boost over regular laptop drives.

jjoyner
jjoyner
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Animagic.

Thanks for your feedback.  500 GB used to seem like a lot, but in today’s world of TB sized downloads and content folders, it’s not that big any longer.   I have several external HDDs that each has a capacity of 1 TB or larger that I could use.
jjoyner
jjoyner
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

3dtester,

Thanks again.  Inasmuch as I’ve just purchased the new laptop and have not proceeded much beyond just getting it setup for use, I’ll keep the idea of a hybrid drive in mind as something that I may consider in the future.  I do have many external HHDs that I can use for storage and four each has a capacity of 1 TB or more (1 TB, 1.5 TB, 2 TB, 5 TB).
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
It's already getting a bit late for this thread, possibly, but I did want to add a few additional comments regarding my recommendation:
a) I admit I do not buy a lot of "content," so my 500GB SSD was very slow to fill up
b) Doing some Iray animations have the potential to eat up huge amounts of TEMP space, depending on the options you use, but at least it gets cleared out when the render finishes - or can be easily cleaned out manually
c) I also have multiple versions of a lot of my software installed... iClone 5, 6, and 7 (so multiple copies of some of the "content")... about 5 versions of my NLE... those are the worst offenders.  As long as software versions don't conflict, I tend to leave the old version around "just in case," and then I sort of get used to them being there and never get around to removing them.

So even with those bad habits, I lived comfortably in my 500GB SSD as a Windows/Applications disk.  It is only recently that I finally deleted several versions of my NLE...  and just last week I upgraded to a brand new 1TB SSD.

TIP:  You can tell Windows that you want your "My Documents" folder to be on your larger HHD, which is what I did.

The final point is, it's very possible that a person could live comfortably for a couple years on a 500GB system drive is a second drive as a storage disk, and by the time the SSD starts to get uncomfortably full, replacement drives will be cheaper than they are now.  Of course, if the user is a shopaholic and buys every content pack under the sun, then his C: drive will fill up faster than mine did.

Anyway, both answers are good.  Have fun iCloning.  Smile

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Reading This Topic