Profile Picture

Thinking of upgrading? The AMD RYZEN 3900X are back and at $499.

Posted By rgreenidge 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Thinking of upgrading? The AMD RYZEN 3900X are back and at $499.

Author
rgreenidge
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
AMD RYZEN 3900X are back and at $499. This is great for all iClone users who want to upgrade if you need to have a lot of avatars and other things going on in your scenes. You can now also get 32GB cards of memory to go into 4 slot that will give you 128GB total. Not all iClone users will need this power but if you intend to use a lot of things in your scene. $499 is a great price, and is not bad considering most of the people want you to pay $1000 for a video card, which had little or no affect for myself when you have 11 or 12 GB of VRAM, and your only using 5 to 6 GB in you scene of 80 avatars, and the timeline starts creeping. It's the CPU that makes everything move in step more than anything else. If you have a slow CPU the video card has to wait for it to move all the animations in the scene, not the other way around. The more memory (RAM) the CPU does not have to address or access the hard drives. CPUs at this speed have never been under $1000 before. Look at the CPU's listed just above and below it. $3,000 and even $5000. Again I am not a AMD or INTEL person, a freaking transistor has no name. Just like when Intel had the fastest CPUs' I will not spend $6950 for some CPU and it's not 13 times faster than 3900X, only 1.5 X's. My math don't work that way.
 That just means for $499, my video will render in 120 minutes, and with the $6950 CPU I will render in 80 minutes. 40 minutes less for $6450 more?  I'll wait for 40 minutes more, and spend $6450 and I can buy two computers with the 3900X, buy another copy of iClone, so I can keep working on iClone while the last scene is rendering. The 3950X is suppose to come out in November. I'm thinking about it? I can swap it out with the computer in my mastering room. Like I said on here before I usually update my computers 2X's a year if something great comes out, or there is a big price drop in something. Good luck with your projects and have fun doing it.  https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c9ca3040-d9f4-40b8-8e32-f58a.jpg    

Home built; ASRock X570 Pro 4, AMD Ryzen 9-5950X CPU, AMD RADEON RX6900XT, 16GB video card, 131GB of RAM.

animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
It's interesting you mention VRAM usage, because with my scenes I have come close to using the full 11 GB of my card. I agree though that more RAM doesn't hurt.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hey, thanks for posting this. I followed the AMD/Intel CPU thread and say your rig. I have a GTX 1080, w/ 8 Gb of dedicated ram. Still my scenes are sluggish when the video card is only using 6b.  I run a Ryzen 7 1700 and have 32 Gb of Ram.  I don't believe my current MoBo will handle the 3900X, so I would have to swap that out for a 570. 

My question is, if I increased my RAM to 64 Gb (plus 2 more 8 Gbs) would that help with large scenes even though I do not upgrade the processor at this time?

Thanks,
Nathan

Nathan

Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The GPU does all the hard work with iClone. The only advantage I got with upgrading my CPU is the time it takes to save the rendered frame. We are talking milliseconds here. How I can tell that my CPU is faster when a frame is rendered. with my old CPU there would be a dip in the GPU usage meter while it saved. With the new CPU the GPU save time is barely noticeable.
That's it! That is all the advantage you are getting with a more powerful CPU. Oh and Windows loads much faster. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
rgreenidge
rgreenidge
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Dragon skunk, I been on here Since iC3. You say that your GPU does this and your CPU doesn't do this, but you never state what CPU you have, or had upgraded from, the same with your video card. Since I've been on iClone, I used a AMD 8150, then a Intel i7-6900X. I went from 16GB of RAM to 128 GB RAM, and every increase of RAM, I was able to add more avatars into a scene without freezing. The CPU does not start up Windows faster, your C: Drive does. I've been building IBM compatible computers, and since 1986, and doing electronics since 1958, so stop it. Show us what you compared your results with. I've bee doing this forever on this forum. If you're going to make a statement about computer components with iClone, then show us what components you came to your results were? What CPU's did you change to since you used iClone? I'm thinking about getting the $2000 threadripper and using 256 GB of RAM. You shouldn't come here talking about what does what and what doesn't if you haven't compared results yourself. Want a view of my electronics background search Facebook for Rich Greenidge. When it comes to electronics, I'm the best. And if you don't believe so ask the friends I worked with. And you? Anyone who tells me, their CPU is more important than the CPU, has not been upgrading their computer regularly, or know much about the computers. The best GPU isn't twice as fast a  $200 GPU. But the fastest CPU is 4.4X as fast as a $200 CPU.     https://www.passmark.com/ Make sure if you buy a new CPU, it 3X's faster than the one you have or you won't see much difference. Now what CPU did you do your iClone comparisons with? I don't tell people how things work, because I heard it or it sounds good. I test things out myself, then I tell you what results I got, what I got before, and all the components I used to get to that conclusion. I still have a mechanical, C drive, and  Solid state F drive for my DAW. This is the 3rd, CPU for this computer and do you know how fast these faster CPU's boot my Windows? Zero, because they have to wait for the hardrive, to transfer my program to the RAM. Again. what CPU did you use when you started with iClone, and what CPU do you have now? Have a great week.    

Home built; ASRock X570 Pro 4, AMD Ryzen 9-5950X CPU, AMD RADEON RX6900XT, 16GB video card, 131GB of RAM.

Peter_914185
Peter_914185
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Sorry to hijack this thread but I think the below question is relevant.

I've just purchased a new Asus G14 laptop.  It has a RTX 2060 6GB and 16GB of ram. Is this going to be powerful enough to run IClone with say two characters.  I'm not going to be needing to create complex scenes as all my scenes will be comped into live footage but I do need the characters (driven by Mocap) to run smoothly. In case anyone is wondering why I didn't go with a desktop it's because I want the ability to live stream in different locations with fast set up times. 

Would love to know your thoughts. 

Peter

Reading This Topic