Profile Picture

Heavy CPU usage when Transformer is baking textures?

Posted By TonyDPrime 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I noticed while using CC3 my PC came to a slow lag and I was like, "what the heck is going on..."
And then in an instant I realized it was character Creator doing a bake of textures, and I was like, "Oh yeah, that's right, I'm running the Advanced texture thing..."

But so then I looked at the Performance Monitor in Win 10...and I was surprised to see the main GPU sitting pretty still, while the CPU was hitting 100%!

Is there a way to utilize the GPU for the texture baking process? 
Because, I can think of any number of other art applications that let you choose either CPU or GPU for texture processing, and the GPU mode is always faster.
So it got me thinking, maybe we could use the GPU instead of the CPU for the texture bake part?  Is this possible?

THX!
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Tony... Thank you for the feedback. I have passed this on to the dev team for their thoughts.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Tony

The dev team are aware of this issue and certainly GPU Texture Baking would be more efficient that CPU Texture Baking. Although not in our immediate plans, we will look to improve this in future updates.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
confirming the lag issue -  but strangely enough,  I'm not seeing a CPU spike ...

on windows 7 - it's taking me literally 45 minutes to import Daz characters to character creator now,   my system lags extremely,  to the point that it's unusable -  even the mouse pointer freezes.
I was going to post a thread on it,  but decided to lurk to see if anyone else had a similar issue -  made me wonder if the RL products are simply losing compatibility with windows 7.

While I believe there is heavy usage of the CPU - according to my readings it's not a problem on my system nor are all the cores being spiked ...what I am seeing is the path the program is using,  and it causes issues with my other softwares - especially ones that heavily rely on internet usage.

So my guess is that changing from cpu to gpu won't address the actual issue which is most likely the way and path the software is processing the data.  Basically I suspect that the program developers are trying to use unconventional means of accessing the cpu ...and thats where the problem is causing a buffer underrun,  not in the actual cpu usage.  -  reason I suspect this is one software I use always gives me a "Network error" when I have it up along with iclone...even when not processing anything,  That every so often when Iclone is idle,  I get a perpetual hourglass flashing,   and the false flags I've gotten from anti-virus programs in the past from how the softwares connect to each other.   My CPU is self overclocking and still significantly over the requirements.  I should not be freezing at all.

also,  this specific issue is what has me wondering if I need windows pro for workstations version to circumvent this unorthodox coding errors.  specifically the "Microsoft's Resilient File System (ReFS) "  -   I'm starting to wonder if RL is using computers that are not realistically compatible with normal user computers.

Edited
5 Years Ago by planetstardragon
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
planetstardragon (10/31/2019)
confirming the lag issue -  but strangely enough,  I'm not seeing a CPU spike ...

on windows 7 - it's taking me literally 45 minutes to import Daz characters to character creator now,   my system lags extremely,  to the point that it's unusable -  even the mouse pointer freezes.
I was going to post a thread on it,  but decided to lurk to see if anyone else had a similar issue -  made me wonder if the RL products are simply losing compatibility with windows 7.

While I believe there is heavy usage of the CPU - according to my readings it's not a problem on my system nor are all the cores being spiked ...what I am seeing is the path the program is using,  and it causes issues with my other softwares - especially ones that heavily rely on internet usage.

So my guess is that changing from cpu to gpu won't address the actual issue which is most likely the way and path the software is processing the data.  Basically I suspect that the program developers are trying to use unconventional means of accessing the cpu ...and thats where the problem is causing a buffer underrun,  not in the actual cpu usage.  -  reason I suspect this is one software I use always gives me a "Network error" when I have it up along with iclone...even when not processing anything,  That every so often when Iclone is idle,  I get a perpetual hourglass flashing,   and the false flags I've gotten from anti-virus programs in the past from how the softwares connect to each other.   My CPU is self overclocking and still significantly over the requirements.  I should not be freezing at all.

also,  this specific issue is what has me wondering if I need windows pro for workstations version to circumvent this unorthodox coding errors.  specifically the "Microsoft's Resilient File System (ReFS) "  -   I'm starting to wonder if RL is using computers that are not realistically compatible with normal user computers.

Regarding your internet issues, i used to have connectivity issues when iclone or ccc were open. I was connnecting via wifi with a usb adapter. Contacted support and opened a feedback tracker entry but i was ignored. Now i use ethernet and have no problems
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Thank you for that response Raxel -  it adds more evidence to my suspicion,  that this issue wouldn't be fixed if the process were transferred to the gpu,  especially if the real issue is the digital path the programs are using are causing the lag and not the processor itself.  -  for example,  if the software was using a printer data path and rerouting it to the gpu / cpu - the lag would come from using that path, and it not keeping up with the bursts of data the software is putting out - not the processor itself.

Edited
5 Years Ago by planetstardragon

Reading This Topic